Did nationalism originate in Latin America?

Gary MacLennan g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Fri Sep 28 14:42:38 MDT 2001

I am by no means an expert on Hobsbawm - but isn't it an essential part of
his anti-nationalism thesis that Woodrow Wilson encouraged nationalism
after WW1 as a bulwark against the internationalism of the Bolshevik
revolutionaries? This move was reduplicated of course in the former
Yugoslavia following the collapse of the Soviet Union.

And as a parallel case aren't we arguing that the USA secret state i.e. the
CIA encouraged the spread of Islamic fundamentalism during the cold War as
both a bulwark and a counter force against the Soviet Union and China?  The
earliest instance would be, would it not, the 1965-6 anti communist
massacres in Indonesia, largely carried out by Islamic fundamentalist gangs?

Another interesting case would be the policy of the Israeli Govt to
encourage the growth of Islamic fundamentalists the Hizbollah as a counter
force to the leftism of the PLO and the Democratic Front for the Liberation
of Palestine.

We now live with the blowback both in the guise of regressive forms of
nationalism and Islamic fundamentalism - all of which are the direct result
of anti-communism.

regards

Gary

=======