Hitchens and the Left [Austin subthread]

Lou Paulsen wwchi at enteract.com
Sat Sep 29 18:42:48 MDT 2001

I don't know what exactly Andy is responding to - it's all rather vague,
some or many leftists on some or many listservs etc. saying something which
he thinks is bad and so on.  (I wouldn't be surprised to find that I and my
party are in his crosshairs, but perhaps I'm flattering myself.)

I would like Andy to be more specific: tell us who you are attacking, and
what they said that was so bad.  AND, more importantly, what you think we
SHOULD be saying, and what positions we SHOULD be taking.

In particular, I would like to ask if Andy (a) is complaining about the
wording of statements (inadequate condemnations of the hijackers) and/or
analysis we present, or (b) if he actually would take a different position
in practice on matters of war and peace.  To put this another way, is he (a)
in agreement with the position (which is mine, and which I believe to be the
Leninist position) that we should oppose ALL military action by the U.S. in
this matter, EVEN if it were -credibly- portrayed as "surgical" action to
"bring the terrorists to justice", or (b) are there forms of
military/judicial action by the US against al-Qaeda (if there were evidence
that they had something to do with the hijacking) which he thinks we should
NOT OPPOSE?

Lou Paulsen
member, Workers World Party, Chicago
www.workers.org