The working-class and the war

Gorojovsky Gorojovsky at arnet.com.ar
Sun Sep 30 16:36:37 MDT 2001

En relación a The working-class and the war,
el 30 Sep 01, a las 16:36, Louis Proyect dijo:

> [Posted to World Systems Network mailing list by Alan Spector, a
> sociologist who knows who the real enemy is.]

[...]

> Because of a lack of understanding of imperialism and because of the
> general news censorship, the working class generally actively, or passively
> supported U.S. imperialism many times

[...]

>  The current crisis has been brought on by something
> much, much, much more intense than any of those incidents. Not only have
> "foreigners" struck against the U.S. on U.S. soil, but there were civilian
> deaths. [...] --- actually about 6,000 dead, including many
> working class people. Six thousand killed on U.S. soil, and watched again and
> again by hundreds of millions on television, night after night.
>
> Yet in spite of that, there is NOT the kind of one-sided massive,
> irrational call for war among the working class. [...] the support is not as
> deep as you might believe, including among the working class.
>
> How do I know this?  I live in a blue collar, working class city near
> Chicago.

[An interesting analysis follows with many interesting facts added]

One can only hope that Alan Spector is right and that his is an actual cross-
section of the American society. I have always argued that one of the problems
of the American bourgeoisie is that, differently to what is regular in Western
Europe, there is no sense of "Imperial pride" in the general cast of American
ideology. These facts of consciousness, which are deeply rooted in the history
of the USA, may become a great problem in a few year's time. A problem, for
_them_, of course, not for us.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
gorojovsky at arnet.com.ar
=======