Steps the RCMP are taking to "crush dissent" in Kananaskis.

Macdonald Stainsby mstainsby at tao.ca
Thu Apr 4 03:49:36 MST 2002

Please read this, it's kinda informative but scary...
P-Luck of the Red And Black Flag Collective in Montreal [www.redblackflag.org]

Steps the RCMP are taking to "crush dissent" in Kananaskis.

posted by Jordan Thornton

The intent of this post is not to intimidate. If anything, I think this
should make the desire to attend the G8 Summit to protest corruption even
more powerful.

More importantly, we need to know what we're up against.

I heard this from a girl whose husband is in the RCMP, and an old friend who
is a Mountie backed it up.

In Regina, Saskatchewan, the RCMP is currently conducting full-time readiness
training in riot control tactics, in preparation for the G8 Summit.

The Mounties are being trained to rush the crowd as a whole, then to split
into groups of thirty, and splinter the protest into smaller, easier to
handle units.

The cops at the head of the crowd are solely to do the arrests. They will be
armed with tazers, pepper spray, and extra long batons. These batons not only
extend the reach of the police, but also add greater momentum to their
swings. (On camera, they said, you will not be able to tell how much extra
force is behind the baton strikes. Nice PR victory for the RCMP ... Yippee.)

Behind them, will be a line of Mounties armed with high powered and extremely
accurate rubber pellets.

*** WEAR A CAN!!! ***

The RCMP shooters are being trained to aim for the groin. Please wear
protection, as these pellets sail through the air with much of the same
momentum as real bullets.

Every time the cops gain any substantial ground, they will fire tear gas
cannisters further ahead, in order to break up more of the crowd, and gain
more ground. Wear your masks...

A number was not given, but some of the Mounties behind the police line will
be armed with machine guns. At two or three points, fifty calibre heavy
machine emplacements will be set up.

During the Summit, all RCMP officers are on call. No vacation days or days
off for the duration.

Also, the air space will be closed for ten days (nine?), and CF-18's and
helicopters will be a common sight.

And we haven't even done anything yet!
And if you live in Canada, this is what your tax dollars are doing. No saving
healthcare, no social programs ... "Crush the Rebellion!!!!"

What happened to the proud Mountie tradition? The legendary Mounties like Sam
Steele, who was known for his composure in stressful situations, famous for
his lack of firearms?

Is this the world we want to live in?

For $hame ...

Keep it peaceful, and come prepared. If I learn anything more, I'll be sure
to pass it along.

********
       ****** The A-Infos News Service ******
      News about and of interest to anarchists