REPARATIONS

Mark Lause lause at worldnet.att.net
Thu Apr 4 14:46:05 MST 2002

It might be that native peoples, with the experience of annuities, etc. are more
mobilized on these things than African Americans.  When these matters come up in
terms of the Blackfoot, for example, there may be lots of activists who are
misrepresented by the bourgeois media.

However, it doesn't carry over to the question of reparations for slavery.
There is not movement behind the lawyers and showboaters.  This isn't a media
misrepresentation.  There's just not a movement there.  (Not that having a
movement of some sorts there reuires us to support it, but without a movement,
we're just discussing a lawsuit.)

Three more short points.

1) In Cincinnati, the cops regularly shoot black kids.  As a radical, I think
it's far more important to encourage people to face issues posed right now their
daily struggle to get by as "free" people.

2) If history can help mobilize people, it is essential for us to ensure that it
is honest...not just a pseudoradical BS to counteract bourgeois BS.

3) Implimentation of these things is always at the hands of the ruling class.  I
always have to remind feminists who favor censorship of pornography that neither
they nor I will have a bigger influence in defining what is "pornography" than
Jesse Helms...that the experience of something like the Comstock Laws lands a
Margaret Sanger in jail as a pornographer.  So, too, I'd also remind Jim that
the Federal authorities did impose reparations for slavery in one part of the
South:  the Indian Territory.  The Feds took land from Indians, gave it to
blacks who were forced into debt almost immediately, and the wheels of justice
ended by dropping all this real estate into the laps of banks, railroads, etc.

Solidarity!
Mark