Thoughts on A Beautiful Mind

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Apr 5 06:36:02 MST 2002

On Fri, 05 Apr 2002 14:21:13 +1000, Gary MacLennan wrote:

>There has fortunately since then been the
>development of a range of drugs  which have many
>fewer side effects and have constituted a
>qualitative  breakthrough in the treatment of
>the mentally ill. Moreover we may be about  to
>witness the development of a third generation of
>drugs which will lead  to another leap in
>improving the care of those suffering from
>schizophrenia.

As it turns out, I just saw "White Sound" at the New Directors/New
Films series. This German film is a study of a young man's struggle
with schizophrenia. I am also nearly finished with "Madness on the
Couch," the absolutely shocking history of Freudian-based
psychoanalyis as a form of treatment for schizophrenics, autistic
children and obsessive-compulsive disorder. Basically, it blames such
organically based illnesses on parental failure (especially mom) to
provide nurturing and love. So not only were parents burdened with
the task of raising extremely disturbed children, they were made
guilty in the process. I want to review "White Sound", "Beautiful
Mind" and "I Never Promised You a Rose Garden" in tandem. Anna
Fromm-Reichman, the psychiatrist who is featured fictionally in the
last film, is skewered neatly in "Madness on the Couch".

--

Marxism list: http://www.marxmail.org