REPARATIONS

Mark Lause lause at worldnet.att.net
Fri Apr 5 07:06:12 MST 2002

The earliest serious work on the subject remains, in many ways, the best: Annie H.
Abel's THE AMERICAN INDIAN AND THE END OF THE CONFEDERACY, 1863-1866 (Cleveland
1925).  This was her third in a series of books on the Indian Territory in the Civil
War period.  The new Bison book edition had a good introduction by Theda Perdue and
Michael D. Green, that cites some of the subsequent literature on the role (one
might say, the use) of former slaves in the area as a means of further
expropriations.

Again, we all seem to be agreed on the concept of reparations, the real question
being what expectations we should/should not have in any tool designed by and for
the exclusive use of the ruling class. (It is precisely on these kinds of questions
that Marxism would grow stronger with a healthy dose of the antiinstitutional
skepticism characteristic of the anarchist traditions.)

Solidarity!
Mark L.