Hitler Speaking Hebrew

Danielle Ni Dhighe nidhighe at irsm.org
Sun Apr 7 15:21:56 MDT 2002

The Blanket

Hitler Speaking Hebrew
By Brendan Hughes

Yesterday morning my door sounded as if it was about to crash in. The
blattering accompanied by shouting through the small letterbox was
frantic. It was just as well I had asked a friend to give me a wake
up call. I had volunteered to drive the minibus to Dublin at the
request of the Ireland Palestine Solidarity Committee. And I had
almost slept in. But like everything else in these circumstances
where the downtrodden are resisting, moral obligation and a sense of
solidarity kick in and I always manage to make it and give my
support.

A door being battered and hammered always reminds me of British Army
raids. I felt relieved that it was just a friend doing the hammering.
My thoughts drifted to those in occupied Palestine hearing similar
noise followed by the voices of fascist Israeli soldiers in
jackboots, then gunfire. In the wake of the visit, a child or another
loved one dead. I would make it to Dublin even if I had to walk.

Things in Palestine have got so bad that even the Pope has condemned
the Israeli government. But the thought crossed my mind that this was
more to do with the fact that with nowhere else to escape the
murderous Israeli assault the Palestinians were seeking refuge in
churches. Had the Vatican conducted another sordid deal with fascism
for which it is renowned - shoot all you want but not if they are on
our property?

In prison I read books about the Warsaw Ghetto. Mila 18 by Leon Uris
gripped me because it was a story about resistance against odds that
could not be overcome. But the alternative for the Jewish was to let
the Nazi fascists march them off to the gas chambers. I admired those
young Jewish fighters who went to their deaths fighting rather than
pleading with a presumed human decency that simply did not exist.
Some children as young as six crawled through the sewers of the
ghetto to bring back food to keep their families alive. It went on
for a long time. Each day as they began their descent into the sewer
they must have realised that it could be their last - and for the
majority it was. The Nazis rounded them up and murdered them for
feeding their families. Other kids had to lie in secret hiding places
from where they could watch helplessly as their mothers, fathers,
brothers and sisters were herded off to death in the concentration
camps.

I was not yet born when all this was taking place. But watching
events in Palestine today I can see at first hand what it was like
for those brave Jewish people in the Warsaw Ghetto. Innocent people
under fascist and racist attack. And yet they resist. When we watch
this we know that Hitler never really died but is on the march having
donned the mask of those he sought to exterminate. He is writing the
hated number on the arms of the Palestinians. What genocide has he
planned for the Ramallah Ghetto?

And we know just how easy it can be to inflict such genocide when
there are so many prepared to turn a blind eye. Nazi Germany went as
far as it did because of blind eyes and cowardly silence. Do not let
on you are unaware of what is happening. The spectre of Israeli
racism is massacring the Palestinians. Do no give your children cause
to condemn you for your indifference. Speak out and demand the end to
the Israeli occupation of Palestine now.