National Committee to Reopen the Rosenberg Case [Link to Site]

Hunter Gray hunterbadbear at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 7 17:27:18 MDT 2002

Note from Hunterbear:

>From two enthusiastic, younger activists based in Hawaii, this now
feathered-out Link to a project in which each of them has been much
involved:  National Committee to Reopen the Rosenberg Case.

The Rosenberg Tragedy is something that richly warrants reopening in any
case -- its injustices cry out across decades and generations.  But, given
the gray and rapidly darkening skies of repression in America north of
Mexico, its legacy and lessons carry enormously contemporary relevancy.

Any person with an ounce of honesty in his or her makeup who was alive and
aware during the Cold War / Red Scare epoch which seared -- and scarred --
civil liberties and human rights generally in both the United States and
Canada for years, will certainly understand my contention that any Federal
targets in the "Rosenberg case" stood about as much chance of getting a fair
trial as did Mack Charles Parker -- a Black man falsely accused of rape in
Pearl River County, Mississippi in 1959.  Mack Parker was lynched --
directly and physically -- by a mob of Anglo "respectables" all of whose
names were widely known at the time and none of whom was ever punished for
his murder.

One of the current oddities afoot these days is the fervent embrace,
selectively -- by an entourage of right-wing American historians, some
wearing neo-liberal clothing -- of various self-serving alleged reports by
Soviet operatives that are currently being "discovered"  in Russian archives
and marketed globally to eager book-writing academics.  Some of these
"documents" -- touted enthusiastically in the US right wing press [e.g.,
American Spectator] -- are held to hold a few words which cast doubt on the
innocence of the Rosenbergs et al.  Several years ago, the American
Spectator ran things professing to have found the CPUSA membership card of
Harry Bridges of ILWU in Soviet archives.  [On that one, I can only say,
I've got a nice stretch of Arizona sea coast to sell -- real cheap, for
cash.]

For my part, a Native activist who came of age during the years of the Red
Scare and who remembers its manufactured and spontaneous and extraordinarily
destructive fear and hysteria only too well, I'd never trust anything --
ever -- like the FBI or CIA -- or the NKVD / MVD / KGB.

If any readers of this have ever read that great Arthur Koestler novel,
Darkness at Noon [New York:  Macmillan, 1941 -- and many subsequent
editions], they'll certainly savvy what I mean when I say that the Old
Bolshevik policeman, Ivanov and his old friend and charge, Old Bolshevik
organizer Rubashov [possibly drawn in part from Karl Radek], were men of
great grace and honour. But Gletkin, the New Cop & Sycophant, of the
post-Revolution
generation, much closer than a first cousin to J. Edgar Hoover et al., did
them both in with
cold-blooded efficiency.

The stony faced, tight-lipped men in dark suits that surrounded Hoover and
filled the seats of the House Un-American Activities Committee and the
Senate Internal Security Subcommittee etc. et al., live in continuing
incarnations in the FBI and the Justice Department and related police
agencies of today.  They appear to have no sense whatsoever of the Bill of
Rights.  Of
the Gletkins, thought Rubashov, "they were born without umbilical cord,
without frivolity, without melancholy."

As this country and Canada now plunge ever deeper into manufactured
and spontaneous [and frequently self-serving] fear and hysteria -- replete
with summary arrests and mass incarcerations and other rapidly proliferating
injustice -- this comprehensive website on the sanguinary times in which
Julius and Ethel Rosenberg  and other victims lived and died is well worth
extensive visiting.

Hunter [Hunterbear]

>From Rob and Dan [Hawaii] to Hunterbear:

aloha. we are pleased and proud, honored and enthused to notify you
that as of sunday, the 7th of april, 2002, 11:00am daylight savings
time, the site (http://rosenbergtrial.org) is officially up!

may the spirit of spring and the energy of the new embrace you like a
playful puppy. all the best, rob and dan

ps - for a printer-friendly one page summary of the site, please go to:
http://rosenbergtrial.org/summary.html

Hunter Gray  [ Hunterbear ]
www.hunterbear.org  ( social justice )