several good articles--Israel's War to Shatter and Devastate Palestine

John Cox hazel_motes52 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 14 08:00:13 MDT 2002

"MER WORLD" SECTION FOR LATEST IMPORTANT NEWS
AND CRUCIAL ANALYSIS
http://www.MiddleEast.Org/world

With so much fast-breaking raw news make sure to check daily the new
MER WORLD section of MIDDLEEAST.ORG -- now continually updated with
carefully selected important articles from publications around the
world along with crucial analysis and commentary needed to understand
and put in perspective.today's events.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Independent: Israel buries the bodies, but cannot hide the
evidence
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/story.jsp?story=284436

"I saw it all with my own eyes," said the man. "I saw people bleeding
to death in the streets. I saw a 10-year-old child lying dead. There
was a big hole in his side and his arm had been blown away...I saw
them burying the bodies."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Haaretz - Bulldozers buried Jenin dead
http://www.haaretz.co.il/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=151227&contrassID=2&subContrassID=1&sbSubContrassID=0

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ BBC:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/middle_east/newsid_1926000/1926194.stm

"Early in the attack, I saw soldiers throw grenades into
houses...There is not a house in the camp that has been left
untouched, and many are completely destroyed...With my own eyes I have
seen Israeli trucks taking away the dead and injured."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Amnesty International Report:
http://www.web.amnesty.org/ai.nsf/index/mde150422002

"The Palestinians must be hit and it must be very painful. We must
cause them losses, victims, so that they feel the heavy price".  -
Ariel Sharon, Israeli Prime Minister, speaking to the press on 5 March
2002

"The military operations we have investigated appear to be carried out
not for military purposes but instead to harass, humiliate, intimidate
and harm the Palestinian population. Either the Israeli army is
extremely ill-disciplined or it has been ordered to carry out acts
which violate the laws of war."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Electronic Intifada:
http://electronicintifada.net/diaries/archives/00000098.shtml

Ben Welderman from CNN stated on the air today....we feel Israel is
hiding something by not letting any of us enter. 'Us' is not only
journalists.  But int'l relief services, Red Cross, human rights
activists, Israeli peace activists, ambulances, clean water trucks,
etc, etc... It is amazing how much was destroyed. Our offices were
entered like all others in town by about 25 Israeli soldiers...they
used [a Palestinian guard] as a human shield to go from room to
room... I felt violated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NY Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/11/international/middleeast/11DEST.html?ex=1019549252&ei=1&en=c1e0aec2e125d6b1

Attacks Turn Palestinian Dream Into
Bent Metal and Piles of Dust

"...it is safe to say that the infrastructure of life itself and of
any future Palestinian state - roads, schools, electricity pylons,
water pipes, telephone lines - has been devastated...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Indymedia.il:
http://www.indymedia.org.il/imc/israel/webcast/display.php3?article_id=23732

In the interview published by Ari Shavit in Haaretz on 12 April 2001,
Sharon made it clear that he has no plans for a peace
agreement. According to Shavit, "Sharon is the same Sharon and for him
the War of Independence hasn't yet ended. In a comprehensive
interview, the prime minister describes the main points of his plan:
Jerusalem, the Jordan Rift Valley and the Golan Heights are ours. Not
even one of the settlements will be evacuated because they all have
strategic and Zionist value. It is impossible at this time to bring
about the end of the conflict, nor is separation from the Palestinians
a viable concept. What then? Time is on our side."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Guardian - Protests continue around the world
http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0,2763,682210,00.html

United States - Egypt - Saudi Arabia - Bahrain - Syria - Jordan - Greece

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0,2763,682260,00.html

A few of the children strutted up to the concertina wire hoping to be
considered big enough to surrender as well, but were swatted back by
their fathers, or turned aside with a swift swivel of a gun from the
Israeli soldiers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Haaretz:
http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=150647&contrassID=1&subContrassID=7&sbSubContrassID=0&listSrc=Y

Earlier this week, Reporters without Borders accused Israeli
authorities of "treating many journalists as 'enemies'" and of "doing
everything they can to hide their military operations and accompanying
abuses from the world media."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Independent:
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/story.jsp?story=284438

There was fury among international aid workers yesterday at the
Israeli army's decision to bar them access to the camp while they
buried the dead taking those defined by Israel as "terrorists" to a
desert cemetery in the Jordan Valley where they were placed in
unmarked graves. "They clearly have something to hide," said one
senior UN official.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Haaretz
http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=150648&contrassID=1&subContrassID=1&sbSubContrassID=0&listSrc=Y

UN chief Annan 'appalled' by Mideast humanitarian crisis

John Cox
Chapel Hill, NC
This week in history:
April 14, 1986 Simone de Beauvoir dies
April 15, 1898 Bessie Smith born
April 15, 1980 Jean-Paul Sartre dies
April 15, 1986 Jean Genet dies (bad week for French intellectuals)
April 16, 1828 Francisco Goya dies
April 17, 1961 defeat of U.S./mercenary invasion at Bay of Pigs
April 19, 1943 beginning of Warsaw Ghetto uprising
April 20, 1893 Joan Miro born
April 20, 1914 massacre by National Guard of Ludlow miners