Sharon the Butcher of Sabra and Chatilla

Danielle Ni Dhighe nidhighe at irsm.org
Sun Apr 14 17:06:31 MDT 2002

Andersonstown News

Sharon the Butcher of Sabra and Chatilla
By Danny Morrison

George Bush's best friend, the Prime Minister of Israel, Adolf
Sharon, is a mass murderer, a killer of kids, a war criminal —
every bit as guilty as Slobodan Milosevic — for his part in
butchering thousands of refugees in the Sabra and Chatila camps
twenty years ago.

Every day in life he besmirches the memory of the six million Jews
who were murdered in the Holocaust by invoking their sacrifice to
justify his extermination policy against the Palestinian people.

Any country in the last ten years which has defied United
Nations' security resolutions, resolutions which the United
States has also endorsed, has been bombed and invaded by the United
States, usually supported by its lapdog, Britain, especially if the US
can't get NATO or the UN to unequivocally go along with its war-
mongering.

Any country, that is, except Israel.

Israel, which is armed, financed and protected by the USA, has defied
over seventy UN resolutions since 1967, and can do whatever it likes
under the flag of "the right to self-defence", to quote George Bush.

Last Thursday George Bush, forced at last to respond to international
pressure and outrage, asked Israel to pull back from its reoccupation
of the West Bank. But the Israelis are so pompous and arrogant, and
have the measure of the USA, that they feel no need to worry that any
meaningful sanctions will follow.

In recent days Israeli soldiers stopped a pregnant Palestinian woman
at a checkpoint, watched her give birth and watched her baby die
rather than call an ambulance. They have occupied hospitals,
destroyed operating theatres and vital medical equipment and locked
out doctors. They refuse Palestinians the right to bury their dead.
They have cut off electricity and water, imposed curfews and looted
shops, and their tanks have wantonly destroyed property. Captured
Palestinian men were blindfolded, handcuffed, marched off,
interrogated and then held in a sewer. They were the lucky ones.
Other captured prisoners — including five from the National
Security Forces, including the manager of the Palestinian Authority
orchestra — were summarily executed. Some weeks ago Israeli
soldiers were stamping serial numbers on detained Palestinians.

What next? Force the Palestinians to sew little yellow crescents on
their clothing? It would make sense. The Israeli forces already have
them tied down in ghettos and refugee camps. Forcing them to wear
yellow crescents might ensure that Israeli soldiers will only shoot
civilians instead of journalists, UN workers, international
observers, priests, nuns, and anyone else who gets in Adolf's
way.

The pretext for this latest invasion has been the emergence of the
phenomena of Palestinian suicide bombers, who have indeed slaughtered
Israeli civilians out shopping, in cafes, at bus-stops, in attacks
which we consider unconscionable. But what drives someone to commit
suicide and take the lives of others if not a sense of desperation
and hopelessness, which Israel's policy towards the Palestinians
actually engenders.

Three times as many Palestinians as Israelis have been killed in this
conflict. Most of the Palestinians have been civilians; hundreds were
children.

Adolf Sharon has exploited the suicide bombings in order to
destabilise the Palestinian Authority, and destroy the Oslo
Agreement, which he has always denounced. Yet, even though there is
knee-jerk support within Israel for 'wide-scale war' there
are signs of change [but not from the USA, which relies on Israel as
a crucial bastion and garrison in the Middle East].

Going largely unreported is the fact that several hundred combat
officers and soldiers of the Israeli Defence Forces have issued a
proclamation declaring that they will not serve in the occupied
territories. Some of these soldiers have been imprisoned and harshly
treated because they said that all over the Occupied Territories they
were "issued commands and directives that had nothing to do with
the security of our country, and that had the sole purpose of
perpetuating our control over the Palestinian people".

In a statement reminiscent of the anti-Vietnam war movement, they
said that they now understood that the price of occupation "is the
loss of IDF's human character and the corruption of the entire
Israeli society! We shall not continue to fight beyond the 1967
borders in order to dominate, expel, starve and humiliate an entire
people."

The media in Israel is gagged, reporting of the peace movement not
only censored, but the movement itself physically intimidated, gassed
and beaten off the streets.

Perhaps the most heartbreaking aspect of the occupation is the effect
it is having on Palestinian children. They have sent messages out to
the world. One, fifteen-year-old Mizer Jibrin, wrote: "The Israeli
soldiers prevented us from going out to the kitchen or bathroom! One
of them pushed me forcefully, and started questioning me: 'what
are you doing? what's your name? how old are you?' I answered
them, and they were about to beat me, when my father cried, 'Stop
it, stop it, he is a child'. Went to use the bathroom. They
released me and broke into our home. They imprisoned my sisters,
brothers and me in our small kitchen. And sabotaged our home. They
arrested my father and beat him with the other men. They covered
their heads with plastic bags, taking them to unknown destinations. I
experienced the occupation and I will never ever forget it. I want to
say stop your occupation, stop your tyranny and stop your killing,
stop!"