Re.: Fracas in Caracas A TEST

Chris Brady cdbrady at attglobal.net
Mon Apr 15 02:27:44 MDT 2002

Dear Comrades,
I am so happy you are there so I can share
my amusement with you over such utterances as the following:

New York Times scribe Larry Rohter writes from Chile:

“The initial American stance on the recent events in
Venezuela stand in marked contrast to the Clinton
administration's position when a similar military uprising
occurred in Ecuador in January 2000. After soldiers and
Indians overthrew a pro-American president, Jamil
Mahuad, State Department officials called the new junta
and told its members that Ecuador would become a pariah
state, deprived of all financial aid, unless power was
handed over to the civilian vice president — and it was.”

By LARRY ROHTER, LATIN AMERICA
New York Times, April 15, 2002
“Fear of Loss of Democracy Led Neighbors to Aid Return”
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/15/international/americas/15LATI.html

What was the most probable reason for the big difference between US
reaction to the coup cases of Ecuador and Venezuela? :

            a.  the Clinton administration

            b.  a pro-American president

Answer: _________