German metall workers on the path to strike

Johannes Schneider Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net
Fri Apr 19 06:15:58 MDT 2002

It now looks as if we are heading towards a big metall workers strike
starting May 6. According to shop-floor activists I talked to in recent days
participation in the short work-stoppages and accompanying demonstration was
very good.

Here is the latest from the BBC website;

Friday, 19 April, 2002, 11:54 GMT German wage talks collapse
Germany's engineering sector could be hit by strike action after pay talks
between unions and employers broke down.
Leaders from the engineering union IG Metall and employers federation
Gesamtmetall met on Friday morning in a last-ditch attempt to reach a deal.
IG Metall is now expected to go ahead with a ballot among its members for an
all-out strike.
Any action could cause widespread disruption in Germany, which could be
embarrassing to the government with elections taking place later this year.

Full text:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_1938000/1938876.stm