425 Israeli soldiers refuse to serve in the occupation

Juan Rafael Fajardo fajardos at ix.netcom.com
Fri Apr 19 23:38:01 MDT 2002

425 ISRAELI SOLDIERS REFUSE TO SERVE IN OCCUPATION
36 ARE IN JAIL FOR THEIR REFUSAL

==== Combatants' Letter ===

• We, reserve combat officers and soldiers of the Israel Defense Forces,
who were raised upon the principles of Zionism, sacrifice
and giving to the people of Israel and to the State of Israel, who have
always served in the front lines, and who were the first to
carry out any mission, light or heavy, in order to protect the State of
Israel and strengthen it.

• We, combat officers and soldiers who have served the State of Israel
for long weeks every year, in spite of the dear cost to our
personal lives, have been on reserve duty all over the Occupied
Territories, and were issued commands and directives that had
nothing to do with the security of our country, and that had the sole
purpose of perpetuating our control over the Palestinian
people. We, whose eyes have seen the bloody toll this Occupation exacts
from both sides.

• We, who sensed how the commands issued to us in the Territories,
destroy all the values we had absorbed while growing up in this
country.

• We, who understand now that the price of Occupation is the loss of
IDF’s human character and the corruption of the entire
Israeli society.

• We, who know that the Territories are not Israel, and that all
settlements are bound to be evacuated in the end.

• We hereby declare that we shall not continue to fight this War of the
Settlements.

• We shall not continue to fight beyond the 1967 borders in order to
dominate, expel, starve and humiliate an entire people.

• We hereby declare that we shall continue serving in the Israel Defense
Forces in any mission that serves Israel’s defense.

• The missions of occupation and oppression do not serve this purpose –
and we shall take no part in them.

	View list of 425 signatories so far:
	http://www.seruv.org.il/defaulteng.asp