Economics as religion

Ms jr Carlsen jcarlsen at operamail.com
Sat Apr 20 03:18:42 MDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com>

> At times Nelson seems to deny the prospect of a value-free analysis.  Here, I think he goes too far. Positive economics is alive and well in academia, and the economic paradigm of choice within constraints is being pushed steadily forward to new frontiers of explanation (including religion). There are no hidden values here; there is no sub-text. There is a simple desire to explain the world as it is in more understandable way. <

Oddly enough, you have been berating others for the mere suggestion that science or anthropology might possibly be conducted in a value free fashion. Yet here you give the nod to value free economics. Interesting.

>It is always good to take stock of what we are about
> as professional economists.

You have previously stated that economics is not your strong suit. Why do you place yourself in the company of professional economists?

jcarlsen
--

Download the free Opera browser at http://www.opera.com/