Update on San Francisco march

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Apr 20 20:15:42 MDT 2002

On Sat, 20 Apr 2002 18:38:26 -0700, Juan Rafael Fajardo wrote:

>While the placards addressed a gammut of issues,
>from loud sonic tests in the Pacific Ocean, to
>Plan Colombia, to healthcare, by necessity the
>issue of Palestine was the most promminent, with
>hundreds of Palestinian flags fluttering in the
>breeze for blocks on end and chants in Arabic
>and English filling the air.

Since I had house-guests, I couldn't make it down to DC. I hope that
comrades who did can report on the demo. I will say one thing,
however. The coverage on ABC television was ASTONISHINGLY positive
and extensive. It featured interviews with Palestinian demonstrators,
who were portrayed as being on the side of justice and human rights.
The question of suicide bombers, terror was not raised at all.

MSNBC says, "Authorities do not provide official crowd figures for
demonstrations in Washington, but by midafternoon Police Chief
Charles Ramsey gave a rough estimate of 35,000 to 50,000."
(http://www.msnbc.com/news/741397.asp)

Since the cops generally underestimate crowd size, one can only
conclude that the protest probably was closer to 100,000. In other
words, it was a massive victory for the forces of peace and social
change. My congratulations to all the comrades who helped to make
this a success.

--

Marxism list: http://www.marxmail.org