SF and Washington Demos

Juan Rafael Fajardo fajardos at ix.netcom.com
Sun Apr 21 11:29:16 MDT 2002

> 10,000 people showed up. This is the first time that I saw the real,
> down to earth Palestinian and Arab communities - not just the
> activists - coming out in force to support their brothers and sisters
> in Palestine. They came in small groups, dragging their kids, with
> their handmade signs and their Palestinian flags. They came out
> without being organized by any organization. They just came out to
> protest.

The only organized groups among Palestinians seemed to be contingents of
young men and young women in their teens and early twenties. Student
groups, I assume.

Throughout the march one could see Arab, presumably Palestinian,
families entering and leaving the march, or just catching their breath
on the side, with their kids walking beside them or sleeping in their
strollers.
After the march, at a fast-food joint and on BART, I heard many of them
talking to each other and other marchers.  They all said that they had
heard about the march from friends and relatives via email or phone in
the days prior, or even that very morning, and knew right away that they
"just had to be there".

- Juan