NBC's senior foreign correspondent: "If this is how they treat me, I can imagine what they're doing to the Palestinians."

Juan Rafael Fajardo fajardos at ix.netcom.com
Wed Apr 24 20:50:44 MDT 2002

"In the eye of the beholder"
By Sara Leibovich-Dar

Ha'aretz Daily
Thursday, April 25, 2002 Iyyar 13, 5762
Israel Time: 05:33 (GMT+3)

----------------

It's hard to find a foreign journalist more
sympathetic to Israel than Hardman. When
the siren sounded on the eve of the
Memorial Day for Israel's fallen soldiers, he
stood silently at attention. Palestinian cab
drivers at the entrance to the hotel made the
V-sign and told his crew that they could keep walking,
but Hardman insisted on standing still.

But, sympathetic as he may be, it is now harder than
ever for him to be so: "Things are happening here that
you cannot be proud of. Everything here is too intense.
How I'd like to be back in Australia, talking with
friends about cricket, swimming and surfing and not
worrying about a thing."

Some 1,100 foreign journalists have come to Israel in
the past several weeks.  They have been to war zones
all over the world, but many say they have never
encountered such rough treatment as they are getting
from the Israeli army. Soldiers have shot at journalists,
confiscated their press passes and seized their film. All
the reporters were infuriated by the closure of the territories
to press coverage, and even after the area was opened, not all
of them were permitted to enter.

 "If this is how they treat me," says Keith Miller,
NBC's senior foreign correspondent,  who hasn't been able
to get past the army checkpoints and into the territories, "then
I can imagine what they're doing to the Palestinians."

Full story at:
http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=155642&contrassID=2&subContrassID=5&sbSubContrassID=0&listSrc=Y