CB - Tribal Traditionalism/ Racism do exist

Charles Brown CharlesB at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Thu Apr 25 11:15:36 MDT 2002

 CB - Tribal Traditionalism/ Racism do exist
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 06:33:27 EDT
From: MARIPOWER716 at aol.c

Dear CB:

Define race and racism. I have definitively defined white chauvinism as it
evolved from white supremacy, its ideological evolution and its impact after
the Civil War. What we are speaking about is an ideological category with a
specific impact.  Please define race and racism from the "Marxist
standpoint." You state there is a Marxist conception of race. Fine. Defend
it. I have defended the conception of white chauvinism

^^^^^^^^

CB: I missed your definition of "white chauvinism" , but "white chauvinism" and "racism" are synonymous. White supremacy _is_ racism. So, a Marxist definition of "white chauvinism" would _be_ a Marxist defintion of "racism". The reference to "white" in "white chauvinism"  and "white supremacy" means they are  based on a concept  of race, skin color being the prime element in the recent European history of the term and concept of race. What does the "white" in "white chauvinism" and "white supramacy" refer to  if not race ? White chauvinism/ supremacy is chauvinism based on the biologically invalid concept of race.

Here's a Marxist definition of race and racism straight from the horse's mouth:

http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1867-c1/ch10.htm#S7

In the United States of North America, every independent movement of the workers was paralysed so long as slavery disfigured a part of the Republic. Labour cannot emancipate itself in the white skin where in the black it is branded. But out of the death of slavery a new life at once arose. The first fruit of the Civil War was the eight hours' agitation, that ran with the seven-leagued boots of the locomotive from the Atlantic to the Pacific, from New England to California. The General Congress of labour at Baltimore (August 16th, 1866) declared: "The first and great necessity of the present, to free the labour of this country from capitalistic slavery, is the passing of a law by which eight hours shall be the normal working-day in all States of the American Union. We are resolved to put forth all our strength until this glorious result is attained." [161] At the same time, the Congress of the International Working Men's Association at Geneva, on the proposition of the London G!
eneral Council, resolved that "the limitation of the working-day is a preliminary condition without which all further attempts at improvement and emancipation must prove abortive... the Congress proposes eight hours as the legal limit of the working-day."  end quote

CB: Race is an invalid biological concept. Biological history has demonstrated this. As Marxists we adopt valid scientific , including biological, concepts and arguments, criticisms, corrections of sciences. Originally, race, for our purposes here, was a "biological" concept, used as part of the rationalization for colonialism and slavery. This concept of race was a main principle in shaping the enormous _economic, political and social_ ( not biological) structures of world capitalism.  So, the social  (not biological ) fact of race came into being in this way.  Today's fact of race and racism is the historical descendent of that development.

There is no such biological thing as race. There is such a social thing as race.

There have been bourgeois ideas that class is based in biology. They are invalid, but that doesn't mean there is no such thing as class. Class , like race, is an actually existing social fact and relation.