Nestor's post reformatted

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Apr 27 11:45:43 MDT 2002

A few lines.

A week ago the Argentinean Parliament, seemingly under the inchoate
pressure of the multitude (let us quote Negri when it is worth it),
and fearing a prairie fire which would burn down to ashes even the
personal homes of the Senators and Deputies, voted against a
particular law by Remes Lenicov, the most openly pro- IMF Minister of
Economy that could be obtained after December 19th.[1]

[The above was a _fraction_ of the truth, though an important one.
The other parcels worth considering are Duhalde's brutish demeanour
vis a vis the Parliament (in fact, he issued an ultimatum against the
very body which put him in charge), some defensive reflexes of
progressive Peronist deputies -such as Díaz Bancalari- and, most
important from what could be seen afterwards, the direct pressure of
the pro-IMF governors of the large and heavyweight provinces of
Córdoba and Santa Fe, who easily dragged Governor Solá of the
definitory Province of Buenos Aires behind them].

Remes was thus forced to resign, and Duhalde was forced to pay
attention to the Parliament when ruling. We were facing a new
political crisis, and his own Presidency was at stake.

Eduardo Duhalde responded to the crisis by returning to the uses of
Argentina during the 1830s (and recognizing the actual situation to
which the destruction of the national state has brought us): he
summoned a meeting of the governors of the provinces who were ready
to enter talks with the central government (he even sent some
military plane to fetch a couple of governors who - most probably not
lying- argued that their provinces were so starved of funds that they
could not pay for their own trips to Buenos Aires).

The meeting lasted three days or so, and although Duhalde attempted
(or is said to have attempted) some kind of mild resistence against
the brutal impositions of the IMF, the final result was a completely
pro-IMF package. A modification of the laws of "economic subversion"
-which would take, such as it is now, most bankers to jail-, of
bankrupcies -in order to make it easier for the banks to grab
companies who have failed-, further reduction of the State
structures, and a complete stop to the "dripping away" of the
"playpen" funds -which will make sure that it is the Argentinean
middle classes who pay for the megaswindle known as neoliberal
economic policy.

It will probably not be known whether Duhalde actually resisted these
measures or not. If one takes into account the broad face of
happiness of the American Ambassador after the meeting agreed on all
these sinister points, then one might arrive at the conclusion that
he actually did attempt some opposition.

[Actually, the intervention existed, it was timely, and had
tremendous effect. It came through a telephone call with the Córdoba
governor J. M. de la Sota. I do not know if the call was made _by_ de
la Sota or he received it during the meeting. But the message, which
seems to have arrived _exactly at the moment when Duhalde was
exposing his interest in an independent (that is, from IMF) plan for
Argentina_, turned things black and white: "If you follow such a
course, don't expect to have anything to do with Washington any
more", or words to that effect. This anecdote portrays the degree of
rotten demoralization of the Argentinean traditional leadership]

But it is not essential.

The fact is that the most openly pro-USA governors (particularly De
La Sota, the one who Rodríguez Saá blamed personally for the Coup of
State which overthrew him early in January) explained Duhalde that if
Argentina did not "reinsert herself in the international community",
our destiny was to become Albania. And the idiot -or criminal, or
whatever- caved in! No offence intended towards Albania, but the
sheer comparison is stupid. What we have here is the phenomenon of
"pedagogic colonization" at work.

In the meantime, about 65% or 70% of our population is against
anything that the points of agreement imply. These figures are the
fraction that every survey shows as willing to break up with the IMF
forever.

So that we will have ever stronger confrontations ahead. Of course,
with such a flimsy minded man as Duhalde at the top, one never knows
what new ridiculous alleys this tragedy will move along.

In the meantime, I am sorry I can't give more info to the friends,
but I am very busy organizing some two or three confrontational
fronts. We have achieved some successes, and we expect to be quite
impressive during the first anti-IMF mobilisation summoned by the
rebel CGT of Moyano. In fact, the "left" wing of Moyano's
constituency is openly airing points of view that any serious
revolutionary would support. Things are a-changing. [2]

N O T E S

[1] [The law intended to finish the "playpen" issue -private deposits
in dollars captured by the banking system- by imposing a forcible
conversion of all the assets against the banks into State bonds
--quite a joke, since the financial rogues who benefitted from the
deposits and flew them away from Argentina, as well as their
creditors, know that the Argentinean State is bankrupt!]

[2] [Juan Carlos Schmid, who some of you may have known, spearheaded
a move within the rebel CGT which brought the unions central to break
away from Duhalde. Even Moyano, who was harboring some hopes in
Duhalde, appeared on TV yesterday and the day before announcing that
after the "14 point" agreement there was no coincidence with the
government at all, summoned a Congress of the CGT for May 3rd, and
called for a strike with mobilisation for May 9th (ad referendum of
the Congress, of course). What is new with this Congress is that it
will be a NEW KIND of CGT Congress, where not only unionists, but
also political and social rebel leaders will speak. Your friend N.G.,
and my cdes., have had something to do with this result. And those
who wanted to know what were the inner movements within the rebel CGT
during J. C. Schmid's visit to NYC may begin to have a glimpse of
them through this piece of news].

Keep tuned.

--

Marxism list: http://www.marxmail.org