3. Peron

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Apr 28 08:22:40 MDT 2002

On Sat, 27 Apr 2002 23:17:45 -0700, Alternative wrote:
>Is your source on this Corradi?  I don't
>remember him making such characterization of the
>Union Civica, or the Union Civica Radical (Civic
>Radical Union) that's why I'm interested in
>knowing the source on this.

The Union Civica Radical never represented a united, coherent class,
but was rather an aggregation of disparate groups and individuals.
Initially, it was more representative of the old middle class, which
was largely Creole and in which independent farmers were heavily
represented. It eventually came to encompass the new middle class
which was drawn mainly from the descendants of Spanish and Italian
immigrants--the growing white-collar strata of clerks and
bureaucrats, and the petit-bourgeoisie of shopkeepers. The leadership
of the party was dominated by landed interests not closely tied to
world markets. Hipolito Yrigoyen, the party leader who became
president of Argentina in 1916 and again in 1928, was himself a
marginal landowner. (Corradi, pp. 337-338)

Carlos also asked if any respectable bourgeois historian regards
Peron as a fascist or a caudillo nowadays. I am rather surprised that
he would ask this question. As far as I know, this is the standard
interpretation to this day. While I have no time to dredge up all
sorts of references, I did a search on "Peron" in the H-Humanities
book reviews section and came up with this, from a review of Deborah
L. Norden's "Military Rebellion in Argentina: Between Coups and
Consolidation."

"The military insurrectionists of 1943, which included a group of
officers led by Colonel Juan Domingo Perón, did not present a clear
platform from which to govern, relying instead on a shared ideology
of extreme nationalism, resistance to U.S. and Allied hegemony,
anti-democratic sentiments, a defense of military prerogatives and an
unspecified commitment to social justice (pp. 23-25). With some
modifications, most notably the intensification of cultural
conservatism and anti-subversion, this would remain the core of the
military's political ideology through subsequent decades."

This, of course, is nonsense.

--

Marxism list: http://www.marxmail.org