Reply to Richard Fidler

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Apr 28 20:16:48 MDT 2002

On Sun, 28 Apr 2002 20:14:39 -0400, Richard Fidler wrote:

>In my opinion, Perón was in fact a Bonapartist
>figure (in the context of an underdeveloped or
>dependent country, of course), and rather than
>"promoting" the class interests of workers _and_
>the industrial bourgeoisie, I think it is more
>accurate to say he attempted to straddle those
>interests, which were fundamentally conflictual
>as well as parallel in some respects. In the
>end, his downfall is explained by the
>impossibility of his project.

Richard, you obviously didn't read what I wrote very carefully. I
concluded my post with the following:

"When the internal contradictions of his experiment forced an option
between radicalization or reaction, he opted for the latter, but
could not escape the political and institutional pressures he had
created. Opportunism proved self-defeating. When hard times arrived
Perónism revealed its deepest conservative impulses. After all it had
attempted to develop a populist labor policy within the institutional
framework of capitalism. Laborism had been the strategy of its
revolutionary phase. It had provided Perónism with working class
support. But it contradicted the requirements of capitalist
accumulation which Perón had not once challenged. Perón had now to
stabilize the hybrid system he had created: he began instituting
repressive controls and freezing the class struggle by setting up
corporativist institutions. In brief, he tried to build a power
apparatus in order to free himself from the reactionary and radical
cross pressures in the society." (Quote from Corradi)

When the forces of reaction began to bear down on Perón, there was
only one class force capable of resistance. Imperialist pressure and
hostile class forces in Argentina had taken their toll, however.
Perón was unwilling to turn to the same working-class forces that had
come to his aid in 1945. After a military coup had unseated him in
1955, Perón asked his sympathizers in high government positions and
trade unions to resign in order to keep the peace. He also permitted
the military to seize the CGT's (pro-Perón trade union) arsenal of
5,000 rifles and revolvers.