Request for Marxist definitions of race starting to sound like a joke

Charles Brown CharlesB at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Mon Apr 29 12:25:32 MDT 2002

 Request for Marxist definitions of race starting to sound like a joke
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 22:43:09 EDT
From: MARIPOWER716 at aol.com

>Great. What is the Marxist definition of race? And is this a national
>colonial question?

>You pretend. Answer the question: what is race?

>Comrade.

>Melvin P.

^^^^^^^^^

<CB: Hello. Anybody home ?

<Your response doesn't seem serious, comrade. If you want to do comedy, I can
be really funny.

<Here's one for you. You know why Halle Berry won the Oscar ? She has the
same name as Hallewood.

Melvin P:
I am truly sorry that you refuse to answer the question that you raised.

^^^^^^^^

Charles: You need not be sorry, because I have answered these questions several times. I did not raise the question "what is a Marxist definition of "race" ? You did. And I answered. The reason I say this is starting to sound like a joke is that I have answered the question , and you keep asking the same question.

You should in response to my answer say something like, "that doesn't answer the question ", " or it is a wrong answer because...", not keep asking the same question , because I am not going to keep answering it. It becomes like someone putting me on (a joke).

^^^^^^^^

You
raised the question of race not I. You state there is a Marxist conception of
race. I ask that you state what it is and you say this is a joke

^^^^^^^^

CB: No, I answered the question, and then you repeated the question.

^^^^^

. Fine. I am
cracking my side. We can discontinue this part of the dialogue without being
disagreeable.

I must note that in Detroit in the last period of our history some of us
Marxist delivered the most catastrophe defeat to the black petty bourgeois
intellectual in American history and created the condition for the
destruction of the concept of the "Talented Tenth."  This concept grew out of
the historic split in the African American Freedom Movement and was
personified in Washington and Dubois and goes back to 1895.

^^^^^^^

CB: Perhaps, but the working class aims to draw the petit bourgeoisie to its side in its battle with the big bourgeosie, this is especially true of progressive petit bourgeois intellectuals, and particularly the petit bourgeoisie of racially and nationally oppressed groups, such as Black people .

What are the particulars of the alleged catastrophic defeat ? What is the content of your analysis of Washington and Dubois ?

^^^^^^

You of course know there is no possibility of the black petty bourgeois
intellectual dominating any aspect of the social movement of the workers in
our city. This has nothing to do with color but rather class. The proletariat
is not going to play any color and race games. The white chauvinist will
continue to be crushed and fought to the death.

^^^^^^^^

CB:  On the issue at hand, you know well there are many, many Black proletarian Marxists in our City and throughout the world who hold the position that there is such a thing as race in Marxist conceptions. That is there are Black and white Marxist workers who disagree with what you say on this.  To suggest that the idea that there is such a real , social fact of race and racism is confined to petit bourgeois intellectuals is a misrepresentation of the thinking of class conscious workers, in Detroit and elsewhere.

^^^^^

Some of us are not afraid to call a spade a spade. Now that's a joke comrade.

^^^^^

CB: Ha, ha, ha.  And diamonds and hearts are red. What's trump ?