bourgeois feminism?

duy nguyen jislober at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 6 15:39:21 MDT 2002

The "bourgeious feminist" debate might be over and done with.  Sorry I
haven't been checking my mail.  I would like to say a few things for those
still thinking about the matter.  Some of the thoughts expressed in the
emails I've read seem seem lacking from a dialectical, as well as historical
perspective.  Furthermore much of both the male and female perspectives
express seem in my assesment not only "bourgeous," and uncritically first
world as well.  In opinion, sept. 11th has become more important to resolve
or at least find some adequate way of thinking this issue more than ever.  I
am thinking in particular of the case of the talaban, and the islamic world
in general's treatment of women.  I think we have to ask ourselves, to what
degree is it possible to condemn the oppression of women in islamic
countries like Afghanistan (perhaps the third world in general) as
objectively wrong, meaning universally wrong, regardless of historical,
social and cultural context.  I think its important to address this question
to ourselves because, since sept. 11th especially, it has become clear that
what is referred to her as "bourgeois feminism" as become in many ways very
much a rallying cry for conservatives and war hawks.  People like Ashcroft
who have perhaps like nothing better than to erect his own christian version
of taliban's system of oppression against wormn in this country suddenly
began to talk about gender issues, equality and so forth.  And I heard more
than one red neck deploring the horrible fate of woman under the taliban.
What does it mean when feminism, its issues, its concerned, and its politics
can be mobilized by the ultra conservative left for its imperialistic aims?
It does not mean, of course, those issues, concerns and so forth are simply
wrong.  Of course not.  But does lead us to question how objective the
nearly universal condemnation of the talibam was.  Might multiculturalism
and feminism, all the various radicalism of the past few decades become
nothing more than a new kind of mission civilisatrice?