Re.: NOW and Marxism

Chris Brady cdbrady at attglobal.net
Fri Aug 9 21:19:39 MDT 2002

Nancy and I briefly discussed the nature of the family under capitalism
as an extension of private responsibility that negates social
inter-responsibilities that are central to marxism.  Children need
people who love them.  The traditional bourgeois dyadic reproductive
unit does not even exist in the majority anymore in the USA except in
the minds of reactionary moralists (more than 50% of marriages end in
divorce).  A materialist should face the situation squarely.  What is
best for humanity is love. Che made that allusion long ago, and that
made me love and respect him and his project (even if focismo failed in
Bolivia).

Apart from that, I found Gerard Smith’s offering of reactionary writings
on Betty Friedan to be interesting (like Mein Kampf). I think perhaps
he assumed that readers would know why he sent them.
For me, the conflation of feminism and marxism by those reactionaries
invokes a number of musings.  It reminds me of how Friedan’s marxism
led her to feminism.  It shows how our common antagonists regard our
commonalities better than we do, and our threat to their order.
  It reminds me of that part of the CM where Marx/Engels amusingly
taunt bourgeois critics of communism: “Abolition of the family!
 Even the most radical flare up at this infamous proposal of the
 communists
. The bourgeois claptrap about the family and
education, about the hallowed co-relation of parent and child, becomes
all the more disgusting, the more, by the action of modern industry, all
family ties among the proletarians are torn asunder, and their children
transformed into simple articles of commerce and instruments of labour.”

(This section also supports some of what José was arguing about
education, but if you don’t have a copy of the CM, you really should get
one.  I am amazed how much, like great art, it continues to launch my
imagination and steel my resolve).

The historical trajectory of NOW is another matter...

--Chris

P.S.: I don't think "kiss my lesbian ass" is such a nasty thing to say
;)
I guess it all depends on how it's said... and to whom.