(fwd from Marije de Vries) marx: collectivist or individualist?

Les Schaffer schaffer at optonline.net
Sat Aug 31 07:44:26 MDT 2002

Hello you all,

I am new on this list, so let's tell you who i am. my name is Marije,
i am from the Netherlands (sorry about my english).  Right now i am
writing my final paper (80p.) for my study (political history) about
Karl Marx vs. Max Stirner and their ideas about individualism and
collectivism.  if you want to know more, or if you have great
ideas/websites/ literature/mailingslist etc. for me: please write!
Thanks a lot.

Okay, for now, let's start with a question for you. Mainly because of
the experiences in USSR, Cuba and China, a lot of people think Marx is
a collectivist. That means: the collective is more important than the
individu. But: the final sentence of the second chapter of the
Communist Manifesto demands that "in place of the old bourgeois
society... we shall have an association in which the free development
of each is the condition for the free development of all".

Please tell me: is Marx a collectist or a individualist? Can these two
be one and the same, you think?

Thanks a lot!

Marije de Vries
University of Utrecht