FBI surveillance of Graham Greene

Martin Spellman mspellman at cix.co.uk
Mon Dec 2 13:52:41 MST 2002

	He was also a good friend of Kim Philby, for whom he wrote an introduction
for 'My Silent War'. Michael Sheldon in 'Graham Greene: The Man Within'
claimed that Harry Lime was Philby but this is fantasy. There might be some
resemblance in 'The Human Factor'. Greene's 'Our Man in Havana' was based on
his experiences in MI6. The Greenes are from Norfolk: the 'Greene King'
brewing company is another part of the family. Hence the bishop theme on the
beer (Abbot Ale etc.) -- all good Catholic stuff.
	There's quite a lot about Greene and Philby in Rufina Philby's 'The Private
Life of Kim Philby: The Moscow Years', St Ermins Press 1999 ISBN 0 316 64779
9 -- a very interesting and worthwhile read apart from that.

Martin Spellman