Question about the landscape of the Left

Gilles d'Aymery aymery at ix.netcom.com
Mon Dec 2 17:48:57 MST 2002

Hi all,

As I mentioned in my initial post to the list, "Re: Swans", I am very
much a layman (aka, ignorant) in relation to the "Left" in the USA.
>From the thread about the "Far Left" (about 2/3 weeks ago), I
discovered that there presently are about 27 groups or parties in the
US that represent the "Left" (cf. "American Red Groups," Red-
Encyclopedia.org -- http://www.red-encyclopedia.org/groups.html).

Why so many (with so few members)?  What their specific
difference(s). Why such atomization? Are these parties/groups
personality-driven?

How much time/energy is spent (wasted?) fighting each other instead
of confronting the powers-that-be?

Why can't the "Left" get under a "big tent" concept under one banner
(seems that infighting exists even within the Greens)?

Please, if anyone cares to help me understand, either on the List or
directly to me, can you do me the favor of spelling out the names of
the parties/groups once. Then. I'll be able to follow the acronyms.

In addition, would you have suggestions on one or two books I could
read to familiarize myself with the history of the Left (to this day) in the
US?

Thank you.

In solidarity,

Gilles d'Aymery