One more thing on the US Far Left (continuation of response to Gilles)

Gilles d'Aymery aymery at ix.netcom.com
Tue Dec 3 11:39:01 MST 2002

Lou Paulsen wrote:

In order not to give a misleading impression of the state of affairs on
the left in the U.S., I should say that the picture is not all of
'atomization', because in fact there is a substantial level of cooperation
among left groups on a local level at all times, and sometimes on a
national level, in ongoing coalitions and in the organization or conduct
of particular events and campaigns.  Even when two organizations are
not very close politically (relatively speaking), it is not uncommon for
them to function on a basis of mutual respect and/or for there to be
friendly relationships among members of the organizations.  If you
were to depict this graphically, there would be a web of relationships
among the different parties, with each 'strand' representing some area
in which there is or has been cooperation.  Of course some sects
would be found outside this network, but the serious organizations do
not function in isolation.  So the reality is not just unrelieved
sectarianism and cut-throat competition.

[Gilles]
Yes, a case in point, it seems, was the organization of the antiwar
demonstrations late October, in which the WWP had an instrumental
input and other "parties" helped or at least attended without
sectarianism. It was sufficiently noticed (threatening to?) in other
quarters so that the "liberal left," as I alluded to in the current Note
from the Editor on Swans, has felt the need to attack and discredit the
WWP -- and in doing so attempt to minimize the extent of these
demonstrations.

This makes me think that in Lou's initial answer to my questions, he
does not mention ZNet as a party on the Left. This comes to my mind
because M. Albert wrote a long Q & A as to whether these folks
should attend these demonstrations despite the fact that they were
organized by the WWP (usual allusion to the "front" organisations --
e.g., iacenter, ANSWER et al.) which is a neo-stalinist, etc., etc., etc.
How would you categorize ZNet within the leftist movement (please
note that I entertain cordial relationships with Ed Herman, who has
generously agreed to contribute to Swans from time to time, and with
David Peterson). To use Lou's metaphor, I experience some difficulty
to graphically represent ZNet on the US ideological map.

Gilles d'Aymery