The seductive powers of the British state

Michael Keaney michael.keaney at mbs.fi
Wed Dec 4 08:01:11 MST 2002

Richard Harris asks of David Aaronovitch:

Why is this man a national newspaper columnist in the UK?  Could it be
family connections?

------

Yes, but not for reasons that you seem to imply. I have no axe to grind with
the likes of Sam Aaronovitch or Ralph Miliband whom, whatever their
mistakes, I consider to have been sincere Marxists concerned to advance the
cause of the working class. It is, perhaps, a measure of their success in
irking the establishment that the establishment went to great lengths to
ensure that their offspring became its trustworthy agents. Ralph's sons,
David and Ed, are both thoroughly New Labour, David being an MP and having
been employed within the prime minister's policy unit from 1997-2001 until
he was offered a safe parliamentary seat in South Shields. Before that he
was involved in various New Labour initiatives from 1992 onwards.

I and others strongly suspect that Blairite cheerleader, the virtuoso
vulgarist Andrew Rawnsley, uses David Miliband as a major source of all his
pro-Blair, anti-Brown, anti-Prescott anti-et al. gossip with which he fills
his pisspoor Observer column every Sunday. In fact you can learn a bit more
about this guy by checking out this lovefest, in which Rawnsley skips over
the strong claims to successorhood of Peter Hain and touts the wares of
young Miliband:

see http://www.observer.co.uk/comment/story/0,6903,815389,00.html

David Miliband was a Kennedy scholar, "earning" a place at MIT where, among
other things, he learned economics from that great progressive, Rudiger
Dornbusch, recently departed. Kennedy scholarships are a principal means by
which Cold War liberals in the US selected the "best and the brightest" of
the British intelligentsia and sent them westward to learn about true
freedom and democracy. As Robin Ramsay points out in "The Rise of New
Labour" (Pocket Essentials, 2002), a significant number of New Labour
insiders have been Kennedy scholars or members of the British American
Project. Over on the A-list we have an occasional thread: "New Labour as the
triumph of Cold War liberalism" where we've tried to connect the dots of
this complex morass of networking and backscratching and subversion.

Ed Miliband is a special adviser to Gordon Brown, funnily enough, whatever
muck Rawnsley chooses to spread concerning the Blair-Brown rivalry. And Ed
himself is a beneficiary of Cold War liberal largesse -- he's currently a
visiting fellow at the Center for European Studies, Harvard University,
where you'll also find ex-Financial Times editor and very early New Labour
supporter Richard Lambert

see http://www.ces.fas.harvard.edu/information/british.html

Maybe some of our US comrades can make it up to Boston for 14 February 2003
as Ed will be addressing the topic, "New Labour and the future of social
democracy". Should be a short presentation.

David Aaronovitch teamed up with Peter Mandelson in the Young Communist
League during the 1970s, rejoining him at London Weekend Television during
the 1980s, after both had been thoroughly cleansed of earlier sins and were
safe enough to work with the likes of John Birt, Brian Walden (rightwing
Gaitskellite ex-Labour MP) and Michael Maclay (ex-MI6 and now lead
spokesperson for Hakluyt, a private sector MI6 front organisation).

In other words, all of these guys have been given major temptations, have
had doors opened for them, have been offered amazing opportunities -- hey,
capitalism can't be all bad, you know. Yet another way in which the system
exacts its revenge upon those who would dare to speak against it.

Michael Keaney