One more thing on the US Far Left (continuation of response toGilles)

Gilles d'Aymery aymery at ix.netcom.com
Wed Dec 4 09:38:25 MST 2002

Jay's and Louis's comments (appended below) brought a wide smile to my
face because I am in the very midst of a "little discussion" with Michael Albert
regarding the very issues brought up by Louis -- reposting without permission
(I call this "scavenging"), unwillingness to follow reasonable requests,
republishing a piece in Zmag originally published on Swans without permission
AND without even mentioning Swans... the list is long!

In fairness to Michael, I should add that these issues are not ZNet-specific.
How to put it? Hmm, let's just say that the ethics of Web publishing would
deserve more attention...both from the authors' and the publishers' (Websites)
perspective.

It remains that, to put it mildly, I have found communicating with Michael to
be quite a challenge. For some reason, Michael has a way to make me always
feel wrong and on the defensive. As said, I am in the midst of it.

(Comes to mind in regard to these issues another individual I have some
difficulty to locate on the map, Jared Israel of Emperor's No Clothes.)

Gilles d'Aymery

[Jay Moore wrote]
 "people person". I've met him and I found him to be an egotistical ass.  Other
people who have worked with him tell me more or less the same thing.  ZNet -
- meaning the Website, the magazine, and other publishing projects --  is
basically a two-person show with Albert and his longtime companion Lydia
Sargent.

[Louis Proyect wrote:]
Yeah, that reminds me. About 5 years ago, when I was still taking
submissions to print publications with more seriousness than I do nowadays,
Robin Hahnel invited me to submit a music review to Z Magazine. After I did
(a piece on a Malian singer), I heard nothing for weeks. When I finally
inquired about the status, Albert told me that he got it and so what. Grrr.
About a year later, I was doing a web search on ecology and the American
Indian, I discovered that one of my own fucking articles was on the Znet
website *without my permission*. When I brought this to Albert's attention,
he said that he was doing me a favor by allowing a broader public to view it.
This plus the earlier rejection really made me pop my cork. For at least 2
days, we had a vicious private flame war going in which he refused to
acknowledge that he did anything wrong by appropriating my article without
my knowledge or permission. Finally, he took it off Znet.