sodexho and workers and colleges

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Dec 11 08:28:00 MST 2002

e. ahmet tonak wrote:
> We are in the process of starting a campaign against Sodexho (Simon's
> Rock College's dining hall sub-contractor which recently bought the
> previous sub-contractor Woods!!).  Any information regarding the company
> and its labor practices is appreciated.  Thanks.

One of the best places to find such information on the Internet is the
newsgroup misc.activism.progressive, which serves as a kind of AP or
Reuters for the left. Here is how to take advantage of it:

1. Go to http://www.google.com/ and select 'groups'.

2. Enter 'misc.activism.progressive'. This will open up to a list of
messages posted to this newsgroup.

3. Make sure to select 'Search only in misc.activism.progressive'.

4. A search on 'Sodexho' returned 67 articles. Here are a few off the top:

STOP PRISON PROFIT; BOYCOTT SODEXHO-MARRIOTT
... 4, STUDENTS AT TEN CAMPUSES ARE LAUNCHING A BOYCOTT OF PRISON
PROFITEER SODEXHO ALLIANCE
AND ITS US SUBSIDIARY, SODEXHO MARRIOTT SERVICES! BUT WE NEED YOUR HELP ...
misc.activism.progressive - Apr. 4, 2000 by Grassroots Media Network -

[generalnews] STUDENTS WIN FIRST ROUND AGAINST PRISON INVESTOR ...
... PURCHASE OF BRITISH AND AUSTRALIAN PRIVATE PRISONS) AND SAY CAMPAIGN
AGAINST SODEXHO-MARRIOTT
WILL CONTINUE FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Tuesday, October 10, 2000 ...
misc.activism.progressive - Oct. 15, 2000 by Grassroots Media Network -

[PRISONACT] Students Boycott "Sodexho Marriott" Dining Halls ! ...
... few cereal choices that had riled the students. Rather, their beef
was with Sodexho
Marriott Services, the campus food provider, and its ties to the private
misc.activism.progressive - Apr. 19, 2000 by Graeme Bacque - View Thread
(1 article)

[PRISONACT] Prison Moratorium Project / Sodexho Marriott
... World Trade Organisation have spread to the corporate world. Hotels
and restaurants
giant Sodexho Marriott has been the subject of a six-month campaign on
US ...
misc.activism.progressive - Nov. 5, 2000 by radman - View Thread (1 article)

Another Step Toward Victory for PCUN--Sodexho gives NORPAC
... ANOTHER STEP TOWARD VICTORY FOR PCUN--The Farmworkers' Union in
Oregon. Sodexho,
the largest non-commercial food service provider in the world, has given
misc.activism.progressive - Jan. 17, 2002 by Campaign for Labor Rights -

[PRISONACT] Working Assets Criticizes Sodexho's Prison ...
Working Assets has made private prison investor Sodexho Alliance the
target of
its monthly corporate responsibility action on Working Assets' web
portal ...
misc.activism.progressive - May. 16, 2000 by Kevin Pranis - View Thread
(1 article)

[PRISONACT] New Sodexho Detention Centre
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 From: Kate Rhee <krhee at nomoreprisons.org>
Subject: New Sodexho
Detention Centre Keep Kids Safe: Lock 'Em Up The Big Issue June 18-24 ...
misc.activism.progressive - Jul. 8, 2001 by radman - View Thread (1 article)

Bristol Demo against Sodexho
... Bristol Demo on 24/02/01, The day will be against Sodexho, most
folks know about
these people. It will be a day of celebration as well as direct action
against ...
misc.activism.progressive - Feb. 1, 2001 by skysail - View Thread (1
article)

European Investing in US Prisons
... CAMPUS "FOOD FIGHT" ENDS IN STUDENT VICTORY COLLEGE'S NEGOTIATIONS
WITH SODEXHO-MARRIOTT
BREAK DOWN AMID PRISON CONTROVERSY For Immediate Release Friday ...
misc.activism.progressive - Aug. 13, 2000 by Oscar - View Thread (1 article)

!*Prison Industrial Complex
... Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2000 4:44 PM Working Assets Criticizes
Sodexho's Prison
Investments Working Assets has made private prison investor Sodexho
Alliance ...
misc.activism.progressive - May. 27, 2000 by Marpessa Kupendua - View
Thread (1 article)

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org