sodexho and workers and colleges

Alex Gould alexandergould at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 11 09:16:37 MST 2002

A good primer is at http://www.cupe.ca/downloads/sodexho_profile.pdf
(from the Canadian Union of Public Employees)

http://studentwebs.coloradocollege.edu/~g_piescoputn/fairlabor/content/documents/unionavoidance.html
has excerpts from the Sodexho Union Avoidance Manual.

There are many examples of campaigns on campuses against Sodexho on the
web.  Some of them are student-led but others are more focused on the
demands of the workers and center on actual organizing.  Last year a
campaign at Xavier U. in Ohio got some mainstream press.

HERE (Hotel Employee and Restaurant Employee Union) has done most of
the Sodexho organizing in this country.  Contact:

Local 26 - Boston
Janice Loux, President/Business Manager
58-62 Berkeley Street
Boston MA 02116
Phone: (617) 423-3335
Fax: (617) 423-0416
E-mail: local26 at bostonhotelUnion.org
Web site: www.bostonhotelUnion.org

I have a bias toward IWW IU 620 (Education Workers Industrial Union) -
more democratic practices, lower dues, and a different strategy.  We
don't focus on government or employer certification as the be-all and
end-all, and workers can become members before there is official
recognition or a contract.  The Chicago local has its own EWIU 620 page
at http://www.iww.org/chicago/pages/ewiu620.html .  I seem to have lost
the contact info for the Western MA General Membership Branch (GMB) but
they exist and are based in Amherst, I think.

SEIU might also be interested.

Keep me updated on your progress!  In honor of Sodexho and pretty much
every other service-industry employer, here's a song from the Little
Red Songbook to the tune of Oh Susanna, (c) 1983 Paul McKenna

Well now let me introce myself, Jack Shyster is my name.
I'm a management consultant; union busting is my game.
I'm a master of the con job, I'm an expert at the hoax;
and I make my living stealing bread from the mouths of working folks.

[chorus]
I'm a union buster, the bosses' trusty aide.
I help keep their employees overworked and underpaid.

etcetera...

In solidarity, Alex Gould IWW IU 660

=====