Request for Film Jenin, Jenin (Correction)

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Dec 13 06:59:55 MST 2002

D OC wrote:

> My mistake, the film banned for the Academy Awards was 'Divine
> Intervention'. The film 'Jenin, Jenin' has been banned by the Israeli
> Government. It is the latter I am looking for.

Press Alert:

Elia Suleiman's Cannes-Honored "Divine Intervention"
To Be Screened for New York Media on January 7;
U.S. Premiere on January 17 at the Angelika Film Center

Elia Suleiman's "Divine Intervention," winner of the Jury Prize and
FIPRESCI Prize at this year's Cannes International Film Festival, will
be screened for the New York-area media on Tuesday, January 7 at 4pm at
the Magno Preview 9 Screenng Room, 1600 Broadway, 9th floor (between
48th and 49th Streets).  This will be the only press screening for
"Divine Intervention," which will have its U.S. theatrical premiere on
January 17 at the Angelika Film Center in New York.

Subtitled "a chronicle of love and pain," the film presents the on-going
struggle in the Occupied Territories with episodic comedy of both a
surreal and slapstick nature.  Using savagely provocative satire which
is familiar to both Palestinians and Israelis but less common in the
West, "Divine Intervention" presents absurdist situations amid the
bitter reality of the region: a balloon featuring a cartoon depiction of
Yasser Arafat evades an Israeli checkpoint and floats towards Jerusalem;
Palestinian lovers separated by a sealed border who can only enjoy their
time together by holding hands in a no-man's-land checkpoint parking
lot; Israeli soldiers breaking the monotony of their days with
synchronized dance routines; and (in a scene which provoked gasps at
every festival it has played) a black-robed Palestinian female responds
to a barrage of Israeli gunfire by magically transforming herself into a
vengeful warrior of Wonder Woman power.

An official selection of the recent Toronto and New York Film Festivals
and winner of the Silver Hugo (Special Jury Prize) at the Chicago
International Film Festival, "Divine Intervention" will be released by
Avatar Films in all major markets throughout the U.S.

"Divine Intervention" is a Palestine-France co-production.  Mr. Suleiman
is available for telephone interviews and is fluent in English, French,
Hebrew and Arabic.

For more information on "Divine Intervention" and to RSVP for the
January 7 press screening, please contact Phil Hall or David Nagler at
Open City Communications, 212-714-3575 or Opencity at aol.com.

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org