NYC LABOR RALLY WITH TWU MON. & TOUSSAINT SPEAKS ON THE ISSUES

Mike Friedman mikedf at amnh.org
Sun Dec 15 02:51:55 MST 2002

Building Bridges-LABOR RALLY WITH TWU MON. & TOUSSAINT SPEAKS ON THE ISSUES
Saturday 14 Dec 2002
author: Ken Nash & Mimi Rosenberg (knash at igc.org)

Building Bridges:
Your Community and Labor Report
National Edition

Produced by Mimi Rosenberg and Ken Nash

TWU President Roger Toussaint on the N.Y.C. Transit Negotiations

Roger Toussaint, President of the Transport Workers Union Local 100
condemns the NYC Transit Authority for offering TWU workers a negative pay
deal in recent negotiations and for its excessive disciplinary practices.
He blames the current Transit Authority deficit on mismanagement and the
N.Y.S. Governor Pataki's excessive tax cuts for the rich over the last decade.

This coming December 16th is a date on which labor, united, will make its
response to austerity measures now under review by the State and City
governments. Please find attached a leaflet which can be reproduced with
your Union's or community group's logo in the left hand corner.

This has the full support of the Central Labor Council (see bottom for
partial list of endorsers).

TWU Local 100 believe that our contract, which expires on December 15th, is
of crucial importance to the entire labor movement, because this will be a
benchmark contract for the entire round of municipal bargaining which will
soon be upon us.

Like the Verizon workers who are faced with layoffs, we too are facing the
possibility of deep cuts and givebacks. We must stand firm.

Not On Our
Backs Again!
To All Union Members and Working People of NYC
We can't let N.Y.C.'s budget be balanced on the backs of
the poor, working and middle class New Yorkers again!
NO to subway fare and tuition increases!
NO to cuts in our daycare, schools & universities!
NO to cuts in social services and health care!
NO to wasteful, costly, contracting-out!

 > Support TWU Local 100 in their fight for a decent contract and quality
health benefits!

 > Support the C.W.A., DC 37, DC 1707 and all unions in their fight
to save essential services and their members' jobs.

 > Support a United Voice in telling the politicians and the wealthy:

NOT ON OUR BACKS AGAIN!
we Did Not Share in the Wealth! We Will Not "Share The Pain"!

Demonstrate Against The Budget Cuts!
Monday-December 16, 2002
City Hall Park Rally - 5:00 P.M.
Not On Our Backs Again!
Endorsed by: TWU Local 100; Central Labor Council; AFSCME
DC1707 & DC37, and DC37 Locals 1930, 1549, 983, 420, 375;
UFT; PSC; CWA District 1; Jobs with Justice, OSA
opeiu-153