Sean Penn against war

Louis Proyect lnp3 at
Tue Dec 17 08:03:43 MST 2002

Michael Keaney wrote:
> 'We'll have blood on our hands'
> Former Hollywood bad boy Sean Penn is the latest celebrity to join the
> protest against the threat of an American attack on Iraq. Rory Carroll meets
> him in Baghdad

Penn is an interesting character. Even if the film he is acting in is
second-rate, he is compelling. If you can find "Falcon and the Snowman"
in video, definitely rent it. Based on the true story of two youths who
sold top secrets to the Soviets, Penn plays drug dealer Daulton Lee, the
"snowman". Timothy Hutton plays Christopher Boyce, the "falcon" who
raises them for a hobby and the son of an FBI agent in a wealthy
California suburb who through his dad's connections gets a job
processing satellite data in a top-secret division of TRW. When he
discovers that the CIA has successfully engineered the ousting of the
Labor Party Prime Minister of Australia, he decides to sell secrets to
the Russians to get even. Daulton Lee, his childhood buddy, is a
simpering, feckless loser who eventually screws up and leads to their
arrest. Penn, who usually plays tough guys, is astonishing as this
character. Boyce's story doesn't end with his arrest. He eventually
broke out of prison and joined a bank-robbing crew in the Pacific Northwest.


The Washington Post

August 30, 1981, Sunday, Final Edition

On the Wilderness Track Of a Golden-Boy Spy;
On the Track of a Golden Boy-Turned-Spy;
The Mysterious Journey in the Wilderness of a Golden-Boy Spy

By Nicholas D. Kristof, Washington Post Staff Writer


Chris Boyce was a California golden boy, a brilliant young man everybody
liked, a handsome charmer everybody knew would have a wonderful career.
So everyone was stunned when the golden boy turned out to be a spy for
the Soviet Union and faced a term in federal prison.

Then he stunned his jailers by escaping from the maximum security prison
near Lompoc, Calif., precipitating a 19-month international manhunt. His
arrest last weekend in the wild Olympic peninsula of Washington adds
another chapter to his saga.

His story is the stuff of suspense novels: the fugitive who charms his
way into the hearts and homes of a series of fishing and drinking
buddies in a rugged land where people don't ask too many questions about
a person's background. Boyce didn't always fit in among the burly,
tattooed, suspender-wearing loggers and fishermen, but they liked him
for his quiet friendliness and respected him for his intelligence.

Finally caught through an informer's tip, Boyce remains a mystery man,
cloaked in layers of aliases and identities. Authorities say there's no
evidence that the Soviets helped him, and many questions remain about
where he lived and how he supported himself. He is, federal agents say,
a possible suspect in a number of bank robberies.

But from interviews with people who befriended him and those who chased
him, a profile emerges of a rebel who yearned to be free, free to flout
society's rules and free to roam the rugged, remote areas of the West.

Now Boyce is in jail in Everett, Wash., refusing to eat in what his
lawyer says is an attempt to starve himself to death, in a final bid for
freedom. He hasn't eaten since he was captured nine days ago, and he may
be force-fed intravenously.

Federal officials say he's not talking about where he was and what he
did during his 19 months of freedom, but that he's in despair, wondering
what mistakes he made that led the agents to him.

Born 28 years ago to a middle-class family in Palos Verdes, near Los
Angeles, Christopher John Boyce excelled in school with an IQ of 142,
and served as student body president of his grade school.

He ran in a fast crowd, but was able to get a job, through his father, a
former FBI agent who worked in the aerospace industry, at TRW Inc., a
defense contractor. Later, the young Boyce got top security clearance.

Apparently restless, bored and disillusioned with the U.S. government,
he agreed to give top-secret information to a friend, Andrew Daulton
Lee, who would then take the material to the Soviet Embassy in Mexico City.

Over the next 18 months, Boyce passed on extremely sensitive
information, about secret codes and surveillance satellites, to Lee, who
handed them on to the Soviets in exchange for a total of about $70,000.

Lee was caught in Mexico City in January, 1977, and Boyce was arrested
soon afterward. A federal judge sentenced him to 40 years in prison, but
in January, 1980, Boyce hid in a tunnel at the Lompoc federal prison in
southern California, then used tin snips and a makeshift ladder to escape.

He vanished, leaving no clues except for his known fondness for
falconry, vitamin E and Etonic running shoes. Investigators checked out
reported sightings all over the world, with no success. Then, more than
a year later, Boyce's pursuers got the break they needed, and the net
began to close.


The Marxism list:

PLEASE clip all extraneous text before replying to a message.

More information about the Marxism mailing list