Report from Argentina/Who is the thief?

e. ahmet tonak eatonak at simons-rock.edu
Tue Dec 17 16:32:37 MST 2002

[ converted from html, last warning ]

Anyone has any statistics handy to refute the following op-ed piece in today's NYT?

NYT's objectivity: Argentina = Citicorp

First, NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF's observation:

"....I was struck by the angry scrawls on American banks in Buenos Aires. A
Citibank branch was defaced by this line written in English (with Spanish
grammar): "Thieves, returns ours dollars!"

and then, his "objectivity" mixed with his view on the above line -"misguided:"

"It seems to me that Citicorp's chairman, Sanford Weill, could pull out a can
of paint and scrawl those words on the Argentine Consulate in New York. Still,
however misguided, that fury needs to be addressed."

If Saddam Were Only Brazilian

December 17, 2002
By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF

At this pivotal time, we in the U.S. are losing the battle
of ideas in Latin America.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/17/opinion/17KRIS.html?ex=1041149690&ei=1&en=ff945413dd09cd8e

--
Frequently the only possible answer is a critique of the
question and the only solution is to negate the question.

Karl Marx, 1857, Grundrisse, "The Chapter on Money,"  p.127.

E. Ahmet Tonak
Professor of Economics

Simon's Rock College of Bard
84 Alford Road