LOTR trashing

Mike Friedman mikedf at amnh.org
Tue Dec 17 19:08:54 MST 2002

I happen to be an avid fan of the Sword-and-Sorcery genre. I started
with LOR as a teen, and, yes, I enjoyed the Fellowship of the Ring
movie. That notwithstanding, I agree with the general thrust of the
Pickerton review, which seems to be simply that LOR resonates with
Bush's "war without end" and the overall militaristic atmosphere
emanating from Washington. I also thought Princess Mononoke was a
better film, in terms of plot richness, character development and
nuance than the first LOR movie. My nine year-old son, who's seen
both, would probably agree. But, that's why Disney bought up the
rights to Princess Mononoke, Totorro and Kiki's Delivery Service --
three really GOOD children's anime productions (Princess Mononoke was
billed for teens) -- and squelched.

Mike