How to be a contortionist, by Michael Hardt

Gilles d'Aymery aymery at ix.netcom.com
Wed Dec 18 18:38:26 MST 2002

[Louis Proyect wrote, in response to Michael Keaney's post:]
>From Policy Planning Study 23, written by George Kennan for the State
Department planning staff in 1948:
"we have about 50% of the world's wealth, but only 6.3% of its
population....In this situation, we cannot fail to be the object of envy and
resentment. Our real task in the coming period is to devise a pattern of
relationships which will permit us to maintain this position of disparity....To do
so, we will have to dispense with all sentimentality and day-dreaming; and our
attention will have to be concentrated everywhere on our immediate national
objectives....We should cease to talk about vague and...unreal objectives such
as human rights, the raising of the living standards, and democratization. The
day is not far off when we are going to have to deal in straight power
concepts. The less we are then hampered by idealistic slogans, the better."

[Gilles]
Is anyone aware of the full text of the Kennan's Policy Planning Study 23? I've
read this ominous quote time an again. Would be interesting and useful to read
the full text. Thanks.

Gilles d'Aymery