a small note on Praxis

Mike Friedman mikedf at amnh.org
Sun Dec 22 08:31:16 MST 2002

According to technological determinist arguments, a long line of
technological advances including the printing press, the television, the
personal computer and now the internet would all "transform how scientific and
academic research is done, creating at least the potential for a
democratization of scholarship." Bullshit. Only changing class relations in
society will do this. I still have to pay tens of thousands of dollars for
a Ph.D., subscribe to journals, electronic or otherwise, and join
professional societies, at about $100 - $350 a pop and compete for grants
from the NSF, etc., stc. In the proper social context, these technologies
will be effective means of diffusion of knowledge, but by themselves they
don't "create the potential" for anything.

Mike