Joe Strummer dead at 50

John M Cox coxj at email.unc.edu
Mon Dec 23 05:15:22 MST 2002

This article only hints at the importance of the Clash not only musically,
but in promoting progressive/radical politics both through their music and
lyrics and by participating in such projects as Rock Against Racism:

from the Guardian (London)
11.15am update

Punk legend Joe Strummer dies

Jon Dennis
Monday December 23, 2002

[sp.gif] Joe Strummer
Joe Strummer
 Joe Strummer, frontman with the Clash, has died at his home aged 50.

Strummer, who was the band's guitarist, singer and songwriter alongside
Mick Jones, died yesterday.

The news of Strummer's.death was announced to the world today on his
official website. A message dated December 23 on strummersite.com reads:
"Joe Strummer died yesterday. Our condolences to Luce and the kids,
family and friends."

It is thought that he died from a heart attack. Police said his death was
not believed to be suspicious and confirmed a post-mortem examination
will take place tomorrow. A spokesman for Avon and Somerset police said:
"We believe police did attend as the death at the farmhouse in Broomfield
near Bridgwater was sudden."

With the Sex Pistols, the Clash were one of the most important bands to
emerge in the UK punk explosion of 1976.

They championed a variety of causes, including Rock Against Racism,
before conquering America with London Calling, named the best album of
the 80s by Rolling Stone magazine - despite being released in 1979.

Today veterans of the punk era paid tribute to Strummer and the integrity
he brought to his life and music.

Writer Jon Savage, who has written extensively about punk rock, said
today: "In 1977, the Clash did one of the best live shows I've ever seen.
Joe Strummer in particular gave it his all - and thereby inspired a whoe
generation."

After the Clash's split in the early 1980s, Strummer continued making
music with a variety of projects, including a stint with the Pogues. His
most recent band is Joe Strummer and the Mesceleros.

full article:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/news/story/0,11711,864833,00.html

John Cox
Chapel Hill, NC
This Week in History:
Dec. 22, 2002 Joe Strummer, leader of greatest rock band ever, dies
Dec. 24, 1907 I.F. Stone born, Philadelphia
Dec. 25, 1977 Charlie Chaplin dies, Switzerland
Dec. 25, 1989 Nicolae Ceausescu passes away
Dec. 29, 1890 massacre at Wounded Knee, S.Dakota
Dec. 30, 1890 Victor Serge born
Dec. 31, 1320 John Wycliffe born
Dec. 31, 1384 John Wycliffe dies
http://www.victorserge.net/home.html