more on "Gangs of NewYork"

Charles Jannuzi b_rieux at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 23 23:45:49 MST 2002

Re: more on "Gangs of NewYork"

I haven't seen the film yet, but I am having a
hard time working up the nerve if it stars
Leonardo Dicaprio (though I perhaps can justify
it on the grounds that it also stars Liam Neeson
and Daniel Day-Lewis, and I hear Cameron Diaz
does well).

Still, my initial hunch is that with the budget
Scorcese blew on this, couldn't John Sayles give
us 5-7 truly great films (if we went by the
budget he used to make the absolutely awesome
'Matewan', perhaps even ten)?

Maybe the greatest gangster epic is still Sergio
Leone's 'Once Upon a Time in America'. Critics
say it's no Godfather, to which I say, yes,
thankfully! Still no US DVD for this title, yet.
But whatever form you see, make sure it's the
director's cut, not the abridged version.

Charles Jannuzi