Pluralistic Post: Racism article -- and rough country trail/off-trail boots

Hunter Gray hunterbadbear at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 25 09:16:20 MST 2002

This is a very brief and diverse kind of post.

[Christmas was great and included TWO copies of Salt of the Earth and TWO
copies of Shane -- my favorite films.  Each is DVD.]

First, within a day of learning that DSA's Democratic Left editorial
committee had [for reasons very thin but  still murky] declined my AMERICAN
RACISM:  AN ORGANIZER'S REFLECTIONS, it's been taken by the Michigan
Sociological Review for publication next October.  The Review, which enjoys
an excellent reputation in the discipline, is edited by Jay Weinstein, also
President of the national Society for Applied Sociology.  Jay and I have
known each other for about 30 years -- ever since we taught at University of
Iowa, he in Sociology and I in the Graduate Program in Urban and Regional
Planning.  The Review will use my piece  " as an introduction to a symposium
on race and racism" -- which was what I assumed would be its role in
Democratic Left vis-a-vis the Anti-Racism Commission issue.  For the record,
I've given our Commission Chair, Duane Campbell -- who had solicited the
article from me, likes it very much, and who has been supportive all the way
through -- a copy of Jay's letter to me and my acceptance.  I am Regional
Organizer for the Anti-Racism Commission -- and am also the Chair of the
SPUSA's Native American Commission. I am also a member of  Solidarity and
CCDS.

The other dimension of this post is a very rare consumer report from me --
about a once every decade event. This, which was not solicited from me and
is totally a non-pay thing, was written and posted by me on December 15 at
Outdoor Review.  [Rating 5 is the highest.]  There are people on these lists
who are outdoor souls -- and this very tested  information may be useful.  I
hike six miles, almost daily -- in extremely challenging turf.
Reviewed by: Hunterbear, 5, from Pocatello, Idaho, USA

Price Paid: $210 at Summit Hut

great deal of climbing in and out of very rough and rugged mountains and
canyons here in Southeastern Idaho -- often on a daily basis. I require
super-traction -- especially since some of this occurs in pre-dawn darkness.
Within hours after receiving my Trekkers, I was on the trail. Within a six
mile stretch, they dealt in extraordinarily capable fashion with steep
up-hill, steep down-hill, snow, ice, mud, fixed rocks, loose rocks, slippery
sage brush. In the days following, in addition to all of the foregoing
challenges, the Trekkers dealt extremely well with water. They could not be
more comfortable. Virtually no breaking-in period was required. I recommend
them with the highest enthusiasm.

Customer Service:
Excellent service. I called Lowa [USA] which rushed the Trekkers to the
retailer -- who then rushed them to me.

Similar Products Used:
I have used Vasque Sundowners -- have two pair. They are quite good -- but
my Lowa Trekkers have better traction, are better fitting, and seem less
cumbersome.

As Ever -

Hunter Gray  [Hunterbear]
www.hunterbear.org