Joseph Campbell's antisemitism

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Wed Dec 25 12:36:58 MST 2002

I had read quite a few of Campbell's books back way back in the 1950s, I
believe.  I enjoyed them quite a bit.  The message I got at the time was
that all sorts of cultures shared similar myths -- from Native Americans
to ancient Egyptians and Christians.  It seemed a humanistic message at
the time.  I saw him speak when he came to Chico and was thoroughly
disappointed.  His message at the time seemed to be that nothing mattered.
Just sit back and be spiritual and see that all is nothingness.

 --
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 530-898-5321