another query was Re: Joseph Campbell's antisemitism

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Wed Dec 25 14:17:14 MST 2002

On Thu, 26 Dec 2002 07:23:17 +1000 Gary MacLennan
<g.maclennan at qut.edu.au> writes:
> Hi Lou,
>

> Do you know anything about Campbell's role during the McCarthy
> period?  From what I have been told by a Campbellite he was not a
> witch
> hunter but was critical of "both sides".

A rather strange way to describe someone's position back then.
Sidney Hook was critical of "both sides" too which in practice,
meant that he thought that the universities should have
been voluntarily engaging in their own witch hunts rather than be coerced
into doing so by the federal government.

I suppose that  a man like Joe Campbell might have
found McCarthy to be too vulgar for his tastes but I
don't think that his own political sentiments were
that much different.

Jim F.

> I wonder what the truth is
> behind