kids say the damndest...truths

Mike Friedman mikedf at amnh.org
Sat Feb 2 08:33:52 MST 2002

It's true... children know... stuff. When my son Camilo was about 5 I took
him to visit relatives in Nicaragua. He immediately commented on the
conditions of poverty on the way home from the airport: "oh, that's because
of Disney." (Yeah, yeah, he had previously heard me badmouthing Disney,
but... And, of course, when I took him to a demo against Disney's labor
practices, he only wanted to see the person in the Mickey Mouse costume that
headed the march!)

Mike

> One more quick story: I first took Christina flying when she was
> 3-and-a-half years old (she said later she was scared but didn't want to
> show it because she didn't want to "disappoint me"--her words exactly).
Well