Forwarded from Softskull Press

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Feb 4 13:26:49 MST 2002

Hey everyone!

Soft Skull Press is proud to announce the release of Battle of Seattle: The
New Challenge to Capitalist Globalization, edited by Eddie Yuen, Daniel
Burton-Rose, and George Katsiaficas.

Contributions by Alexander Cockburn, Noam Chomsky, Stanley Aronowitz, Jaggi
Singh, Barbara Epstein, David Kubrin, Kathrine Ainger, Geov Parrish,
Barbara Ehrenreich, Paul Richmond, Jim Davis, John Zerzan, Kristine Wong,
Ramor Ryan, Hakin Bey, Juan Gonzoalez, Iain Boal, Liza Featherstone, Naomi
Klein, Colin Rajah, James O'Conner, Seth Tobocman, Eric Drooker and others.

Does trashing Starbucks damage capitalism itself? Can NGOs be agents of
social transformation, or are they simply a mirror of the dominant society
within the movement? How can a predominantly white activist scene in the
U.S. and Europe form respectful ties withactivists of color? Essays from
the front lines tackle all these questions.

The uprising against the World Trade Organization in November 1999 was the
most visible and dramatic protest in the United States since the Vietnam
War. The Battle of Seattle roots this event globally in the resistance to
the IMF and the neo-liberal project in Venezuela, Korea, and Chiapas, and
the mass organizing campaigns of the nuclear-freeze movement in the '80s
and the innovative direct action tactics of environmentalists in the U.S.

>From Washington, D.C. to the Republicrat Conventions and on to Prague,
Cancun, and Genoa, the new movement against capitalist globalization grew.
In this volume, the street-level reporting covers the action while involved
thinkers ask the questions on the collective mind of the movement: How can
we root ourselves in communities? How can we make the struggle last? How
can we win? Join the debates and the battles today.

The Battle of Seattle recounts an important era in the history of people's
struggles against international corporate domination of our lives. It has
the immediacy of on-the-street journalism and the perspective of thoughtful
observers. I hope it will be widely circulated. -Howard Zinn

Battle of Seattle is available at book stores everywhere or on
www.softskull.com.

Louis Proyect