More of this?

Craven, Jim jcraven at clark.edu
Mon Feb 4 15:43:05 MST 2002

In the past we have had some of the ongoing Stalin versus Trotsky quotes,
debates or whatever with the result that the list got heated, the invective
got heavier, people like me where labelled "Stalinists" for merely
mentioning Dimitrov's stand in a nazi court when he was charged with the
Reichstag fire and it all got very tedious.

Personally, I always thought Stalin and Trotsky hated each other so much
because they were so much alike (something alluded to in the purported "Last
Will and Testiment" of Lenin) in some profound ways.
In any case, people can do or write what they want (subject to Louis'
constraints as it is his list) but it is really getting boring and tedious
for some I think.

I do know that among many Indigenous Peoples and struggles, when some
"lefties" come knocking on the door to "link-up"  with "Lenin said this..."
"Trostsky said this...." or "Stalin or Mao said this..." there is generally
a look of bewilderment if not abject contempt. As they used to say in
Canada: "Can't you guys go back to your post office box, gather your
membership and squeeze them in, and have your faction fights there?"

Jim Craven

James Craven
Professor and Consultant, Economics
Clark College, 1800 E. McLoughlin Blvd.
Vancouver, WA. 98663
(360) 992-2283; Fax: (360) 992-2863
blkfoot5 at earthlink.net
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~blkfoot5
Opinion*
"I am aware that many object to the severity of my language;
but is there not cause for severity? I will be as harsh as truth,
and as uncompromising as justice. On this subject, I do not
wish to think, or speak, or write with moderation. No! No!
Tell a man whose house is on fire to give a moderate alarm;
tell him to moderately rescue his wife from the hands of the
ravisher; tell the mother to gradually extricate her babe from
the fire into which it has fallen; but urge me not to use
moderation in a cause like the present. I am in earnest--I
will not equivocate--I will not excuse. I will not retreat a single
inch--and I will be heard."
(William Lloyd Garrison, Abolitionist, on Slavery, 1831)