Theory and Praxis

Craven, Jim jcraven at clark.edu
Mon Feb 4 21:06:43 MST 2002

In a culture that celebrates instant gratification, microwaveable this and
that, a pill to "instantly get rid of this and that, you can have it all and
have it now, it should not be surprising to find those seeking instant
"revolutionary" resumes through a little slogan/quote-mongering here and
there, attending/tail-ending a few demos here and there etc. etc. In no time
at all, with very little risk, one can become an instant revolutionary with
an instant resume.

Why investigate/live-under concrete conditions or patiently listen to
diverse perspectives when coming up with an instant/cherry-picked quote from
some "great master" and "ultimate authority" is so much easier and quicker?
Why read a bunch of boring bourgeois stats or views (perhaps looking for
what is not there which can be as revealing as what is purported to be
there) when reading the "fun stuff" (in accordance with one's own absolutely
and objectively correct views) is so much more easy to take and do? Why
link-up with a bunch of workers or other oppressed peoples, sharing concrete
struggles/hardships, living under conditions nothing like mommy and daddy
provide in a comfortable home and learning from the concrete/paid-for
experiences of oppressed peoples when coming up with some
instant-one-size-fits-all quote or slogan is so much easier? Why
develop/apply original research on new issues and conditions when rehashing
the Brest-Litovsk Treaty or something also arcane is so much more fun and
self-gratifying? Why listen to and learn from a bunch of burned-out Elders
with considerable experience when one can simply "intuit" or do
hypothetico-deductivism to arrive at "truth" with no need for concrete
time-consuming experience?

Hire a teenager; get em while they know it all.

Jim Craven

James Craven
Professor and Consultant, Economics
Clark College, 1800 E. McLoughlin Blvd.
Vancouver, WA. 98663
(360) 992-2283; Fax: (360) 992-2863
blkfoot5 at earthlink.net
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~blkfoot5
Opinion*
"I am aware that many object to the severity of my language;
but is there not cause for severity? I will be as harsh as truth,
and as uncompromising as justice. On this subject, I do not
wish to think, or speak, or write with moderation. No! No!
Tell a man whose house is on fire to give a moderate alarm;
tell him to moderately rescue his wife from the hands of the
ravisher; tell the mother to gradually extricate her babe from
the fire into which it has fallen; but urge me not to use
moderation in a cause like the present. I am in earnest--I
will not equivocate--I will not excuse. I will not retreat a single
inch--and I will be heard."
(William Lloyd Garrison, Abolitionist, on Slavery, 1831)