National antiwar conference

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Feb 8 14:50:01 MST 2002

NATIONAL STUDENT ANTIWAR CONFERENCE
FEBRUARY 22-24 2002
COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY, NEW YORK CITY
register at www.antiwarconference.org
get more information by writing conference at peopleforpeace.org

"2002 will be a war year," George W. Bush declared.

While the US may have scored a quick victory in Afghanistan, the warmongers
in Washington have made it clear that the war on terrorism is not over.
They are taking this bloody show on the road: First, to the Philippines
(where US troops are already stationed), perhaps to Yemen, Somalia, North
Korea, Iraq, Iran or any of the other 60 countries where *evil* supposedly
lurks.  Meanwhile, the war at home continues, with racial profiling of
Arabs and Muslims, attacks on civil liberties, and budget cuts to fund the
war.

In the current situation, it is crucial for the student antiwar movement to
come together and discuss the way forward.  What are the real aims or this
war?  Have the Afghan people been liberated by US tanks and cluster bombs?
How do we build a movement to stop Bush's attacks at home and abroad?

People for Peace, the Columbia University coalition against war and racism
urges all student antiwar activists to come together on February 22-24 to
discuss these questions.  We will
gather in New York City to send a message to Bush and his cronies: no more
war in our name!

All campus, regional, and nation-wide antiwar coalitions, committees, and
organizations are invited to send representatives.  The planners of this
conference realize that there are many regional and national antiwar
mobilizations being planned.  In this challenging time, we feel it it
critical to broaden and unite the antiwar movement, and we support all
efforts to do so.

Anyone who needs information or who would who would like to be involved in
the substantial task of planning this event is invited to join the
organizing committee by emailing People for Peace at
conference at peopleforpeace.org

We cannot predict where the War on Terrorism will strike next, but we can
be ready when it does.

PRELIMINARY SCHEDULE
Friday, 2/22
9-11 Registration  ***There will be a $10 registration fee.***
11-1 Opening Panel
1-2:30 Lunch break
2:30-4:30 Process Discussion
5-6:30 Workshops I
evening: party

Saturday, 2/23
10-11:30 Workshops II
11:45-1:30 Points of Unity
1:30-2:30 Lunch break
2:30-5 Discussion and decision-making on proposals
5-7 Dinner Break
7-10 Big exciting panel of amazing antiwar speakers

Sunday, 2/24
11-1 Further discussion/decision-making on proposals
1-2 Lunch
2-4 Building the antiwar movement on campuses (a plenary discussion with
student speakers and breakout discussion sessions)
4 Rally on Columbia U. campus

INVITED SPEAKERS (partial list)
Noam Chomsky (noted author and activist)
Howard Zinn (author of People's History of the United States)
Edward Said (Columbia prof, expert on Middle East issues)
William Blum (author of "Rogue State" and "Killing Hope," books on US
military intervention)
Amy Goodman (host of alternative radio show "Democracy Now")
Dennis Halliday (former director of UN Oil for Food program, resigned in
protest over sanctions on Iraq)
Matt Rothschild (editor of The Progressive magazine)
Robert Jensen (writer and Professor of Journalism, U of Texas)
Anthony Arnove (editor, Iraq Under Seige)
Daniel Berrigan (priest involved in many actions against US military)
Kathy Kelly (founder of Voices in the Wilderness, anti-Iraq sactions group)
Michael Letwin (New York Labor Against War)

PROPOSED WORKSHOPS (partial list)
Lessons of the Movement Against the Vietnam War
The Politics of Oil
The Sanctions on Iraq
Women's Rights in the New Afghanistan
The Myth of Humanitarian Intervention
The Attack on Immigrants' Rights/What the INS Does
The War and Budget Cuts
Lessons from the Gulf War--No More Blood for Oil
Defending Academic Freedom
Media and the War
The International Criminal Court: Can it Work?
Israel and Palestine
The Truth About Islam
Corporate Globalization and War
McCarthyism--Is it back?
Hollywood and War
Causes of Fundamentalism
The US and the Philippines

DELEGATE STRUCTURE, PROCESS, SUBMITTING PROPOSALS
Everyone on the planning committee is committed to making this conference
as democratic and possible.  In order for the conference to be truly
representative of the forces of the student antiwar movement, we feel that
the conference must be delegated.  The conference is open to anyone,
student or non-student.  Speaking rights will be given to everyone in
decision-making sessions, but only delegates will have voting rights.
Delegates must be elected by campus antiwar
committees.  Each campus may have up to three (3) delegates in the
decision-making sessions.

We believe that a small group of people in one city cannot decide the
decision-making process of the conference.  The process will be decided at
the conference by the delegates.  However, process proposals must be
submitted BEFORE THE START OF THE CONFERENCE by emailing
conference at peopleforpeace.org.  Proposals must include your name and the
name of your campus antiwar committee.

In general, we would like proposals to be submitted to the above email
address before the start of the conference.  Some of us witnessed this in
action at the recent Northwest regional conference and feel it worked very
well.  We will prepare a booklet containing all submitted proposals, to be
available at the conference, so that delegates may look over proposals
before making decisions.  We feel this will streamline the conference
process and allow greater participation from people unable to attend.
There will be provisions for making emergency proposals from the floor,
especially compromise proposals.  Examples of proposals are:

1. Proposals for process (ie. simple majority, consensus, 60%
supermajority, etc.)
2. Points of unity of the conference
3. Ideas for coordinated national action (either planning a new action or
mobilizing for one that has already been called)
4. Resolutions of support for specific campaigns, other conferences, etc.
5. Proposals for a national structure for the antiwar movement

Please submit any and all of these to conference at peopleforpeace.org. In the
subject line, please write what kind of proposal it is (ie. Process,
Action, etc.)

Louis Proyect